evanrowen

I'm New Here
Hello Everyone,

Susan and I had so much fun at Petit Jean this year, and we are now planning a trip to West Texas. Big Bend Ranch State Park hosts a regularly scheduled ?Star Party? every few weeks.

We are planning to fly down there on Saturday, November 22 and camp out. The night sky should be as dark as they come.

If anyone wants to join in on this impromptu adventure, we would enjoy the company.

BBRSP has been a popular RV destination for many years and this will be our first trip.

Big Bend

I have been going there for 15 years but no more. They have a cop that will give you a big fine if they see any alcohol. No more food at he bunk house. They don't want pilots there anymore.

That's too bad. I saw a couple of weeks ago whey the state had painted big "X"s on the runway at Lake Whitney State Park. A concerted effort to minimize the access by those Texas citizens flying "dangerous, carbon spewing" personal airplanes maybe??

Followup - Not sure about food in the bunkhouses, but regarding the alcohol, it has always been "no public consumption." Here's the state regs. Notice what's NOT public.

Public place: Any place to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access. The interior spaces of the following are not considered public places:
(A) department cabins, screened shelters, recreation halls, group barracks, and lodges; and
(B) tents, campers, trailers, motor homes, or any enclosed vehicle(s) that are used as camping equipment.

From a practical standpoint, don't flash your beer cans and bottles and I've never had a problem, even drinking in the open at my camp. But it has been a couple of years. Maybe they've changed their tone.

Last edited:
Texas Parks

I will hope for a good experience report from you. I have not been happy with any Texas Park visit.
I spend my $$$ on Idaho, Montana, and Utaha visits.
Sure wish Texas could see the pluses of visitors that fly in.

That's too bad. I saw a couple of weeks ago whey the state had painted big "X"s on the runway at Lake Whitney State Park.

That is really too bad. I used to drop in there frequently, park the plane and walk over to a picnic table. I'd take a lunch and a good book and sit and relax and enjoy looking at the water.

Big Bend Ranch State Park

I gave it one more try with 10 airplane and 28 folks. Do not go to the Big Bend Ranch State Park. They don't want us. No food, the bunk house is unusable, toilets stopped up, raw sewage in front, beds dirty. Employees do not even check to see if everything is OK. TEXAS needs to let this park go.

Big Bend

I gave it one more try with 10 airplane and 28 folks. Do not go to the Big Bend Ranch State Park. They don't want us. No food, the bunk house is unusable, toilets stopped up, raw sewage in front, beds dirty. Employees do not even check to see if everything is OK. TEXAS needs to let this park go.

That's so sad. I went there shortly after it opened. They allowed us to rent the big house for our group of off roaders. It was after a rainy season and the entire park was bathed in color from blooming cactus. What a shame to see it fold.

An alternate would be to fly into Alpine and rent a jeep to off road in Big Bend National. Drive the Black Gap Road and stop at the Mariscol Cinnabar Mine. Include a night at the BBNP Chisos Basin Lodge, Gage Hotel in Marathon and the McDonald Observatory Star Party. All driveable from Alpine.