David-aviator

Well Known Member
It has been 63 days since the last flight due to very wet conditions, high winds and generally no good weather.

Enough is enough - all that came to an end today - I blasted off into a 25 knot headwind and promptly wondered if that was such a good idea - the sod was very soft and the turbulence was immediately wicked.

But once in the air it was time to make the best of it. A course was set to an airport 28 NM east with a good runway to shoot some landings. That worked out well, even did one of Pierre's high key maneuvers from a 1000' at 70 KIAS, it was a done deal until flaps came out the final 200' and the airplane simply fell out of the sky - should have left it clean to the flare. Six landings total, I still can fly. :) Pulled in and bought some gas and chatted with the FBO guy who was watching the air show from his outside chair. From there it was on to 2 other airports, 5 more landings and chats with a couple other guys working on their RV's.

All in all, a good day, notwithstanding the turbulence. No other traffic sighted at all except some geese along the Mississippi way down low.

This evening I walked the runway to check for surface damage, found some spots where the tires were down to the wheel pants and one spot where a turn was made very wide due to the braked wheel simply skidding along. In some spots the wheel pants were acting like skis. I've about had it with turf. It looks nice but there's a reason major airports have hard surface runways. We have a meeting of lot owners later this month to decide if we go to asphalt later this year.

For those with a trike wondering about operating off such conditions as here today, it is OK. Keep the stick full aft like a tail dragger and never, never let the NG touch first on landing. I've made about 300 flights out of here (02MO) in the past 4 + years and so far, so good.

I've about had it with turf. It looks nice but there's a reason major airports have hard surface runways. We have a meeting of lot owners later this month to decide if we go to asphalt later this year.

Don't do it! A well maintained turf runway is wonderful. Major airports are paved because 1) they are government funded $$$$ and 2) it takes an awesome turf runway to support 100,000+ lbs. of airplane!

George

Size Matters!

Dave,

Before you scrap landing on grass, think about scrapping your 500X5's in lieu of 380X150X5's. Nobody has a gooier runway than mine, here in the Green Swamp. The switch to bigger tires allowed me to operate my Rocket off the spongy turf despite water-logging. I also raised my Van's PR pants slightly and use chromoly steel wheel pant brackets.
All of those items combined for much better operations here and in my favorite travel destination, the USFS strips in the Idaho backcountry. Send me a PM if you have any questions!

Smokey
HR2

Dave,

Before you scrap landing on grass, think about scrapping your 500X5's in lieu of 380X150X5's. Nobody has a gooier runway than mine, here in the Green Swamp. The switch to bigger tires allowed me to operate my Rocket off the spongy turf despite water-logging. I also raised my Van's PR pants slightly and use chromoly steel wheel pant brackets.
All of those items combined for much better operations here and in my favorite travel destination, the USFS strips in the Idaho backcountry. Send me a PM if you have any questions!

Smokey
HR2
Hi Smokey,

Thanks for the info, but the problem is a bit more universal here. We have a Bonanza and a couple 182's than have not been able to fly since last fall and that isn't very good utilization considering all the money invested. A 172 recently had to be towed out of the mud after a landing.

The soil composition is clay and it takes weeks of no rain to dry out and firm up, then it is ok. But there's been a copious amount of rain in the past 2 years, I can't remember the last time this place really dried out. Even last summer we were slipping and sliding all over the place.

We considered removing the soil and refilling with sand but there's no guarantee it will work and it too is quite expensive.

This place is fine in dry years, but if it rains a couple inches the place is shut down until it dries out or the sod gets all ripped up which is what happening.