n5lp

fugio ergo sum
Yep, they got it about right. December 2012 issue cover article.

IMG_0640.jpg

Anyone who might buy this issue for the Van's stuff, please don't miss Peter Garrison's regular feature "Technicalities." Technicalities is what it is usually about, but not so in this issue.

I found his thoughts on flight for enjoyment and our jaded attitudes to flight in general to be pretty close to profound.

The piece focuses on his fantasies about the pilot of a Cessna 150 who regularly flies over. It is pretty poetic stuff from a guy who normally writes only about engineering type stuff.

Garrison

I remember reading Garrison years ago. In the late sixties-early seventies, he built from scratch an aluminum two place that he named "Melmoth". We're talking flat sheets of aluminum, one of a kind with no pre-punched holes.

He flew it from California to Japan and back via the great circle route along the Aleutian Islands.

Melmouth

Melmouth I was the all metal one. Destroyed in a ground collision. Melmouth II is all composite, similar in apperance but totally different. Garrison is one of my favorite writers, one of many reasons I still read Flying magazine. I met Peter and got to talk to him a bit when he stopped in Gallup overnight.
Melmouth I did a lot of long distance flights besides the Japan flight. IO 360 Continental in both, engine survived the collision.
Both airplanes built the way all homebuilt airplanes used to be built.

Yes..................the total Flying magazine cover pic,is the Van's RV-14. Since I still really enjoy this magazine, and actually subscribe to it...........I hope is still has some bizjet stuff... :D

L.Adamson

The article is dated. We came to a concensus on taildragger vs tricycle gear years ago, didn't we?