sprucemoose

Well Known Member
It's about that time of year again. Many of us are planning for the flight to the Big Show, many for the first time.

This is a good time to bump this thread from a few years ago:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=8960&highlight=required+reading

There is a lot of good reading in this thread, and valuable information for anyone flying to Oshkosh, even if you have done it before. If you read nothing else, read Rick Durden's column from 2001.

See you at the show!

Jeff,
Good timing in posting the fly-in procedure thread again.
This year I hope to finally fly my RV to OSH.

Thanks for your help in making it safer,
Tom

You can sign up on EAA to get a hard copy of the NOTAM. A must have in the cabin.

Oh yea,

STAY OVER THE RAILROAD TRACKS! Not off top the side so you can see them. Put them under the spinner! Why is this important? If someone has to peal off from the pattern and return to the starting point you are in the way. Get over the tracks per the NOTAM.

Last edited:
Jeff, good stuff - thanks, and thanks for giving so much of your time at O each year.

I have flown in 4 or 5 times to O, and a couple to SnF. I continue to believe the weak link at the O arrival is the wing waggle routine. The controller will say "high wing, rock your wings". I'll see three airplanes ahead of me all rock their wings. Then the controller will say "good, proceed east blah, blah, blah". Three airplanes then turn east. Has there been anything written regarding how to best deal with this problem?

Every year I seem to get stuck behind someone in the line that cant figure out the difference between 90kts and 90mph. So please, if you have a mph airspeed indicator fly it at 104mph on the Fisk approach starting at Ripon. At 90mph you'll have the line flying behind you below 80kts.

Tom,

Make sure you stop in and see us at Dodge County Wi (UNU). Anything you need while you are up here, don't hesitate to ask. That goes for anyone flying in this area. Add my number to your address book.

Richard Glick
RV7A
262-707-5980

Last edited:
Having flown the RIPON approach for many years, I have to say that's the scariest point for me. I agree that there are many, many airplanes that don't follow the railroad tracks, can't hold their altitude and don't fly the proper airspeed.

I've learned that if I see anyone doing the above, I get out of line and circle back around. If it gets too crazy with wild flying air machines all over the sky, I head over to Dodge City and sit it out for an hour or two. I've done that twice and was able to fly a much more relaxed approach.

And secure your signs....

Last year I had a perfect arrival to OSH, no traffic at 1:00 pm on Wednesday, cleared right in from Ripon to a landing on 35, rolled long as requested, turned off, opened my canopy....and my carefully printed "HBP" sign blew out and disappeared. Glad I was the only one taxiing in, as the directors were more than tolerant (and probably amused....):eek:

Paul