Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'll be flying my RV-9A from Seattle Washington to Texas for paint next month. I'm going to overnight in the SLC area. I grew up there and still have lots of family there.

I would like to fly into Bountiful Skypark, but the airspace looks a bit intimidating. It is literally right up against class B to the floor on the west and south side.

Does anyone that live in the area have advice? Landmarks etc. A video would be cool. How's the easiest way for someone not familiar with the area to get in there without problems?

Thanks,
Michael-

I have my RV7 based at KBTF and I know there are a few others on this list that are either based at KBTF or familiar with the area/airspace.

Assuming you will be entering Utah from the North West corner of the State, you could head towards the OGD VOR. As long as you are below 9000 you will be under the Class B and if you stay to the West of the OGD VOR you will remain clear of the OGD Class D.
Looking at SkyVector.com for the area I would aim for the PROMEOTORY POINT VFR Reporting point, you could also use the fix MOINT. From that point I would descend to 6000' and flying from that point on a South East heading pick up the shoreline and simply follow it to the South East and this will keep you out of Class B and OGD/HIL Class D. As you get closer to the CLASS B that begins at 6000 feet you will find an easy to see set of power lines, you will want to be on the East side of those power lines. Then you can proceed at 6000 feet between the power lines and the railroad tracks and follow that right to the traffic pattern at KBTF. Most people will stay just on the west side of I-15 and descend to traffic pattern altitude of 5000 feet. Common CTAF Reporting points are Lagoon, I-15 Freeway, and there is a Small Gas Refinery that is about the North East corner of the traffic pattern. Note that the traffic patter for either 16/34 is on the EAST SIDE of airport.

Leaving KBTF you can easily depart to the East and proceed either East or to the South avoiding the Class B by paying attention to your Altitudes. Mountains to the East are easily navigatable just be cautious based on winds.

An Alternative to all of this would be to contact SALT LAKE APPROACH on 121.1 and they will give you a CLASS B Clearance and vector you towards KBTF, but they will typically have you proceed the same way as described above.

Welcome to KBTF! We typically have the cheapest gas in the area and is self serve or full serve. See their webpage: http://www.skyparkutah.com/ They should also be able to provide Hanger for overnight.

If you would like PM me and I'll give you my phone number and would be available to chat anytime.

Mark