lewy

Well Known Member
Just wondering about a moisture problem when flying in the rain or washing the RV 12. Does the avionics compartment get pretty wet, anyone had problems with water and expensive dynon components, just wandering before we give it a bath after a year in the hangar.

I have washed the 12 several times with no problem. I keep the water blast away from the area under the f/g layup. We have very hard water and I don't wash the canopy with it.

Washing!

I live in Scotland, so I have washed mine several times. Usually at 3000 feet at 100+ knots. A couple of times with snow.

I have a cheap foam seal between the canopy and the panel cover, and have once had a few drops of water dripping down the instrument panel. I take my copilot (wife) to mop up the drips ;-)

I'm more concerned about the prop...

Cheers...Keith

Just wondering about a moisture problem when flying in the rain or washing the RV 12. Does the avionics compartment get pretty wet, anyone had problems with water and expensive dynon components, just wandering before we give it a bath after a year in the hangar.

I wash my 6A with 3 gallons of water in a bucket and a terry cloth rag. Wipe on, wipe off. Nothing gets wet that I don't want wet. It is done in the shade of my hangar. I hated washing my Warrior. But I love washing the RV.

What makes this work is the polish that I use. It is called Wet Paint. It was so easy to apply and will last well over two years if hangared.

If you have any opening it will get in

I have flown out slider RV-6A in rain several times. Once around Wichita it was so hard I could not see anything outside and I could barely hear the radio (turned all the way up with headsets) and water did not come in any of the joints (which I paid particular attention to during the build) but I got a couple of drips through the canopy latch handle onto the face of my 695. If you apply some well thoughtout aftermarket sealing you should be OK. The place to find out if you have a leak is the wash rack

Bob Axsom

I find the washing from a bucket a good thing. I also use a waterless cleaner that leaves a nice coating. Forgot the name but will get it if anyone wants it.
By the way was that a VFR rain? (sorry as can't help myself).
Dick Seiders