wrongway john

Well Known Member
So what?s it like for those that have done so, I?m particularly interested in small planes or RVer?s having done so. How safe is it? This site says 150-300 mph winds are typical, but speeds of 450 mph have been recorded. I suppose this must have been how one RVer recorded 375 mph on his groundspeed.

From the perspective of a turbine pilot:

I routinely operate at altitudes where the jet-stream resides (the day job I have to support my RV habit - NOT in a RV). Typical winter winds in the continental U.S. are anywhere from 100-200kts. On one occasion this winter I experienced winds as high as 187kts at approximately 35000'. Also, the stronger the jet-stream, the stronger the turbulence associated with it will be as you transition into and out of it.

Perhaps someone here has "been there, done that" in their RV. But I cannot imagine a RV reaching true jet-stream altitudes. And if they did, I'm afraid the turbulence associated with entering / exiting would be severe.

Most RV's are flying in standard 'winds aloft' figures in the 0 to probably 12000 range, but are capable up to 20000 or even 24000 feet. That's still not into the 30000 to 40000 level where the higher speed jet stream is. I've read where some have indicated their groundspeed minus airspeed of 50 to 100 knots favorable, and if flying to the west well... they fly lower...

JET STREAM

The Glasair that set a coast to coast nonstop record a few years ago flew in the low to mid 20's if I remember correctly. One of the Hamer Brothers racing team. 100 kt plus winds can be found in the high teens to mid 20's, frequently without turbulence, from late fall to early spring.

JET STREAM

One real world example, I had a 180 hp Pitts that would true about 150 statute. Left Sherman Tx in mid Oct and flew two 2.5 legs, 235 statute groundspeed at 15.5, liftoff to touchdown. This was my second fastest speed in the Pitts. One winter flight at 15.5, 250 statute.

It was Bruce

The Glasair that set a coast to coast nonstop record a few years ago flew in the low to mid 20's if I remember correctly. One of the Hamer Brothers racing team. 100 kt plus winds can be found in the high teens to mid 20's, frequently without turbulence, from late fall to early spring.

Bruce Hammer set that record in his 360 cu. in. powered Glasair ITD. Last weekend he averaged over 260 mph in the ~150 mile seven turn cross country air race beginning and ending at Taylor, Texas. I guarantee he was not in the jet stream there. Recently a California based RV-6(A?) set the two way transcontinental record. He took off very early one the morning and return early the next morning. My expectation is that he flew high during the day to catch the strong westerly winds at RV altitudes and returned during the night when those winds are typically at their lowest. Once on a trip from Fayetteville, Arkansas to Columbus Indiana south of a weather system with strong thunderstorms and many tornados reported (over 40 as I recall) I saw 205 kts ground speed in our old Piper Archer II.

Bob Axsom

I?ve enjoyed reading the feedback, it?s been most interesting to me.

The only RV listed is an entry by Bill Gill in RV7 N151WP running at 283 knots GS, 170 True, at 17,500 feet.

Yeah, Mike, I think Bill Gill is the one I was thinking of as well, his 283 kts is 325 mph, not the 375 I was thinking in my OP. And it appears he did it with just strong upper winds aloft, and not being in the jet stream. I refreshed my memory by re-reading that thread here.

I was wondering about turbulence in the jet stream, so good to get some feedback about that too. It?s nice to know that at certain times the jet stream can be smooth air.

One would definitely be stretching the upper limits on altitude with their RV?s if they ever got into the jet stream, but we do know of some RVers that can easily make that altitude. This thread reports a modified RV that made it to 49,000 feet. Even on our stock RVers, it seems like most could make it when it sometimes dips into the low twenties. It?s usually several miles thick, so maybe on certain days upper teens may have you in it too, or at least still be getting some of the effects of it.

Not sure I?ll ever have the opportunity, but it would be another one of those neat things you could have bragging rights too, adding another notch on your belt by doing something so few others have done by flying your RV in the jet stream. I?ll have to research some more of those upper winds aloft too since several have reported over 300 mph in their RV?s with just that.

Jet Stream Does Get Lower!

Any student pilot at Sheppard AFB, TX can tell you that the jet stream DOES dip down during the winter months. Student pilots are flying T-38s in the Westover MOA's just to the West of Wichita Falls, TX and the MOAs are only 30 miles wide at some areas. I say 'only' because the student pilots are flying solo or formation at speeds exceeding 500 KIAS at times and that makes for a short flight across their assigned area. In the winter months, the jet stream is always briefed during the morning WX brief because in N. Texas the jet stream dips at times down to 12,000 MSL or below with speeds exceeding 75 knots and that is enough to risk the student 'busting' the area because he/she did not plan on the extra ground speed. As for turbulence in the jet stream, negligible. An aircraft flying in air is only aware of its indicated airspeed and relative wind. It matters not what the air is doing in relation to the ground. While there may be a bit of turbulence as you transition in and out of the jets stream, while in it the only thing noticed is the reduced or increased ground speed or crab angle if a crosswind.

Busting the area is the #1 reason for most failed rides in USAF pilot training.

While in a Cessna 172 on a cross country from Bismark to Fargo ND at 11,500 MSL, I had a ground speed of 230 smph. This was pre-GPS and I was flying VFR on top. If it wasn't for ATC asking me what kind of aircraft I was flying since my flight plan said C172 and the speed didn't make sense, I would have had no indication of my actual ground speeds. Just smooth air at 110 IAS!

That?s some good stuff, JJ. I have an air traffic controller from Sheppard AFB that drops by my biz every now and then. I?ll have to pick his brain a bit the next time I see him. I?m particularly interested in those winter jet streams you talk about where it dips down to 12,000 MSL or lower. Man, that ought to make for some fun and fast flying.