RV10Rob

Well Known Member
Finally finished a little write-up on my trip to Texas from Seattle for paint. It was a ton of fun and a great learning experience.

gearth-M.jpg

50f-M.jpg

IMG_1888-M.jpg

Write-ups are here:
Seattle - Ft. Worth
Ft. Worth - Houston
Houston - Seattle

-Rob

Rob,

You plane looks great!

My plane was just finishing paint this week as well (except for wheel pants). Now I just have to put things back together for inspection.

By chance did Scheme do your design? It looks very similiar to a design they pitched us. Just curious.

bob

Yep, Scheme Designers. It seemed like a lot to spend, but they were really great to work with for the many iterations and produced great, detailed instructions for the painter.

Thanks, guys...

-Rob

BEAUTIFUL PAINT

Beautiful paint job and thanks for sharing your trip.. Hope to be there in the near future:)

Rob, this is an excellent read as I want my first CC to be back home to North Texas from Olympia. How was crossing the mountains in Idaho/Wyoming? What altitude were you at and why did you pick that spot? I have been looking at heading due east out of Washington and turning southbound in Montana on the other side of the mountains.

PS the plane looks great hopefully I can burn some holes in the sky with you guys here in a few more months. After the weather gets better of course.

-david

David, if you're going from Olympia to Texas, I wouldn't go all the way to Montana, unless you want to go that way for some other reason. You can paste this route into skyvector.com to see how I went:
pdt klgd bke boi byi mld ocs ckw mbw cys

This route has minimal exposure over rough terrain and puts you close to a major road most of the time.

I think I got up to 12k at times (headed west), though you don't need to be that high if you're VFR. I definitely recommend oxygen for the trip--gives you more options and makes you feel much better during and after the flights.

-Rob

Many routes..

David,

When I did the same trip as Rob (from Auburn), weather was fairly cruddy in the central west, so I just followed I-5 all the way to So Cal (I went south in January, so the plan was to get as far south as fast as I could), hung a left Antelope Valley, then Palm Springs, Phoenix, and cut across the bottom via El Paso. There's really many different ways to do the trip, just depends heavily on weather.

Jim