nucleus

Well Known Member
Took my bird out today for a local flight, it was between 0 and -10 F. Hadn't received the oil cooler shutter yet, so I taped most of it off. Should have blocked it completely as the highest oil temp I saw was only 178 F.

I couldn't lean the engine nearly as much, only down to 8.8 GPH at 8500, but the true airspeed was really up there, 182 knots, verified by GPS groundspeed. This at full throttle and 2500 RPM.

I also noticed the increased lift at during the flair, which lasted about twice as long.

It was a beautiful sunny day, with smooth, thick air; at one point I throttled back to 135 knots and flew above the Missouri river at 500 AGL, following each curve and curl of this river that is just really a baby at this point. Hard to believe it ends up draining one-sixth of the continental US before it joins the Mississippi river just north of St. Louis Missouri. I flew over the dam where hydroguy2 works, but much higher than 500 AGL, that's a tight little spot there.

Hans

Winter Flying

Winter flying can be nice. No bugs to clean up afterwards.

Even my Cherokee 140/150 flys (almost flys) like an RV in the winter time! Pattern altitude before the end of the runway...cruise better than summer months...man, I just gotta find some wings and keep moving!

Having fun while I slave away below you....at least I was warm.

you can drop in the canyon, the highest power lines are <100' above the river downstream from the powerhouse. But develop any problem you're getting wet. Be safe

I'd be warm in winter flight if air didn't leak through the vents. I wish someone made some expanded-foam plugs for the NACA inlets that I could use some speed tape to hold in place during the winter. In fact, I wish I knew how to do foam molding; I'd make them myself.

Took my bird out today for a local flight, it was between 0 and -10 F. Hadn't received the oil cooler shutter yet, so I taped most of it off. Should have blocked it completely as the highest oil temp I saw was only 178 F.

I couldn't lean the engine nearly as much, only down to 8.8 GPH at 8500, but the true airspeed was really up there, 182 knots, verified by GPS groundspeed. This at full throttle and 2500 RPM.

I also noticed the increased lift at during the flair, which lasted about twice as long.

It was a beautiful sunny day, with smooth, thick air; at one point I throttled back to 135 knots and flew above the Missouri river at 500 AGL, following each curve and curl of this river that is just really a baby at this point. Hard to believe it ends up draining one-sixth of the continental US before it joins the Mississippi river just north of St. Louis Missouri. I flew over the dam where hydroguy2 works, but much higher than 500 AGL, that's a tight little spot there.

Hans

Hans,

Is your hangar heated or was the engine pre-heated or did it just start up as is?

No leaks

Patrick,

Try Stein's vents. I have them and have no leaks. I do have leaks, just not from the fresh air vents.:D

David

I went to Bozeman last summer to talk to a guy about heating radiant floors with solar power. As we toured the place, there was Han's RV. So the trip was double good for me.

Re: Heated Hanger

Hans,

Is your hangar heated or was the engine pre-heated or did it just start up as is?

My bird is in a beautiful brand-new heated hanger, and the hanger owner, Bob Marshall, loans me tools, gives me lots of free hardware, help, and advice. In fact, it was his $100 roll of aluminum tape that I used to block off the oil cooler. I am very happy with my hanger setup.

Bob's personal hanger houses a beautifully restored Vultee BT-13, as well as lots of airplane parts & supplies, popcorn, drinks and Tuesday night Hold'em poker; played tournament style on felt tables. Definitely a BZN mecca.

Hans