MikeWhiskeySierra

I'm New Here
Had the chance to tour FlyEFII at Cable Airport in Upland CA (greater Los Angeles area) this weekend with a few other interested builders and figured I’d share my impressions and some of the answers Robert (the founder) was able to give to our numerous questions. Overall, it was a great tour and I was impressed with the system. Additionally, Robert and his business partner Lylah run a professional shop - I was impressed with the relatively advanced manufacturing tools they had and how they've managed to squeeze their entire business into a single hangar. Thanks for sharing so much of your time with us, Robert!

This is a pretty long post, and I know this is a popular topic - I hope it will help others get a jump start on their own research into electronic fuel injection and ignition and also foster some healthy debate on the pros and cons of the architecture as a whole and FlyEFII/System32 specifically. Judgement will always be an element of an engineering decision, but the best rationale is based off data – I think EFII is an inevitable future for general aviation just like how it was for cars, and the experimental community has the ability to help bring this technology to the mainstream and continue to drive our powerplants into the modern age.

Bottom line up front: I think the FlyEFII System32 has some theoretical downsides compared to a conventional magneto system that at least plausibly could result in engine failure where the conventional system would keep chugging along, but the system is designed to meet or exceed the reliability we expect in single piston engine airplanes, and we need more hard data and rigorous analysis to make a real comparison. I suspect this system is at least as reliable as any well-maintained conventional system, and also likely improves system reliability through reducing pilot workload and margin for error with manual mixture control (in addition to nice-to-have efficiency and maintenance/engine life improvements). I plan on installing it in my RV-14 for cross-country IFR operation that will take me over the mountains.

Note: I use FlyEFII/System32 somewhat interchangeably, but EFII is generally used in reference to the generic architecture – sorry for any confusion! Also, I haven’t had a chance to dive as deep into the competitors, so this is admittedly an incomplete review of the EFII landscape.

Quick reference to get up to speed:
  • I read some good Kitplanes articles for reference before the tour, these were a good primer:
  • There’s more detail in the FlyEFII Installation Manual, Bus Manager Installation Manual, and the User Manual (have to email Robert for it), but here’s a high level overview. I’m building an RV-14 with a 4-cylinder IO-390, so some of the specifics are tailored to that application – for example, add another ignition coil for a 6-cylinder IO-540:
    • Fuel injection:
      • Redundant fuel pump pair, commercial pumps mounted in custom-machined housings.
      • Constantly pressurized cold fuel supply rail (plus fuel return line), standard stainless steel braided, teflon lined hoses.
      • Single electronically actuated solenoid fuel injector per cylinder, fires into air intake through cylinder head. Automotive injectors mounted in custom-machined housings for mounting to the cylinders.
    • Ignition:
      • 2 automotive iridium spark plugs per cylinder, each ECU powers a single spark plug per cylinder.
      • 2 ignition coils, each coil powered by a single ECU and each coil powers a single spark plug per cylinder
    • Electronics
      • Professionally outsourced circuit boards mounted in custom-machined ECU housing, some other fancy features like gold EMI plating and RF filters.
      • Two redundant Engine Control Units (ECUs)
      • Critical sensors: 2 automotive manifold air pressure transducers, 1 custom RPM sensor via magnetic pickup and magnets precision-installed in the flywheel, and 2 intake air temperature sensors (less important than MAP and RPM).
      • Non-critical sensors: 1 engine temperature sensor installed in unplugged port in the rear cylinder (others plugged), 1 throttle position sensor, optional oxygen sensor for info-only air-fuel ratio
      • Digital controller/display – same hardware as Garmin G5
      • Harnesses built in house
      • System tested in house before shipment
    • Power supply
      • 2 batteries
      • 1 alternator minimum, 2 recommended
      • Custom power bus manager recommended, 2 redundant busses (1 critical, 1 non-critical), emergency backup direct-wired switch for third level of redundancy. Bus manager has a very large range of acceptable voltage input, increasing likelihood of continue operation in the event of alternator/battery/voltage regulator issues.
From my perspective, here are the pros and cons of this system relative to what I consider a conventional setup – a mechanical fuel pump and mechanical magnetos (conventional or E/P-mag). Some of these are true for electronic systems in general, and some are specific to the FlyEFII system. Definitely interested in dissenting opinions or other aspects I might have missed!
  • Pros
    • No mixture control knob – reduced pilot workload and automatically optimized fuel delivery across the operational envelope for both efficiency and safe operation from low idle to wide open throttle.
    • Variable spark timing and automotive spark plugs (large, efficient spark) for optimized combustion efficiency at all throttle settings and operational conditions (namely altitude), which reduces fuel consumption on the order of 1 GPH. Not revolutionary, but saves a decent amount of money and adds endurance.
    • Inexpensive automotive spark plugs can be replaced for less cost than overhauling traditional massive electrode spark plugs.
    • Reduced weight – I’m not sure the exact numbers, but it’s probably a few pounds.
    • No risk of vapor lock during hot starts since the system has a fuel tank return line. Hot starts can be achieved on almost any engine, but it typically requires a patience-testing procedure.
    • No risk of inadvertent starts, even if the prop is turned – prop needs to be turning at least 50 RPM for the system to engage.
    • Customizable fuel mapping for precise control of engine operation across all operating conditions. Fuel delivery can be adjusted for all cylinders at once and also tuned for individual cylinders, on the ground and in the air.
    • System can save all operational data to an SD card for detailed review of data for troubleshooting and performance optimization.
    • Electronically-controlled ignition system has a built-in rev limiter to prevent over-speed.
    • Flexible fuel choices – operates with 100LL, 100UL, or auto gas. With the inevitable shift to unleaded fuel coming soon, this is a notable benefit to me.
    • Very little maintenance, fuel filter replacement every few hundred hours, not sure about pump replacement interval but likely very infrequent, spark plugs typically have long life, etc.
  • Cons
    • System is electrically dependent, so there are failure modes where loss of power can result in the engine stopping.
    • No provision to hand prop to start – not a huge deal, but notable.
    • Manual intervention required to switch over to the redundant ECU system if there is a failure of any single-fault-tolerant critical component in the primary control loop (ECU, MAP/IAT sensor, etc.) – this can cause the engine to stop, though the propeller would likely remain spinning and restart would likely be quick once fuel and spark are returned.
    • Relatively complex compared to conventional magneto system.
Architecture and philosophy
  • Automotive components: the system incorporates several automotive components such as the fuel injector, MAP/throttle/temp sensors, etc.
    • I asked Robert to counter a common argument I’ve seen that, specifically within the context of EFII, automotive components are less reliable than their aviation counterparts. His opinion is that this is mostly based on perception, and isn’t really founded on first principles or hard data (and within the EFII ecosystem, there aren’t really any systems that haven’t evolved using automotive parts). He had some issues with component reliability in the early design, but upgraded the hardware to what is seen as the top of the line in the auto world, and hasn’t seen any significant issues since. The environments of a race motorcycle or car engine are similar to an aviation application, so I think this is a reasonable take.
    • In my opinion, concrete reliability data (e.g. # critical component failures per 1,000 hours operation) is necessary to evolve this debate from judgement-based decisions to objective evaluation.
    • Some other thoughts:
      • Auto hardware benefits from large scale implementation and has lots of data to inform the design, particularly for high-end applications where designers care about their reputation and performance.
      • The hardware incorporated into System32 is based on Robert’s personal experience with their effectiveness and reliability – while somewhat anecdotal, 30 years of experience shouldn’t be dismissed.
  • Design stability
    • Some components changed from the initial design, but the design has been locked in for a while now, and Robert says no changes are planned. Potential certification opportunities may bring in new requirements, but nothing that Robert thinks is critical for operation.
  • Failure tolerance architecture/philosophy
    • System32 is designed for single-fault tolerance in most cases – failure of the manifold air pressure sensor being read by ECU1 will cause failover to ECU2, and if any critical sensor fails on that system, the system can’t be expected to operate correctly. In the interest of simplicity, the ECUs are not wired to take input from both of the redundant sensors.
    • This is an area where I had some difficulty adjusting my expectations. My day job is propulsion engineering for rocket engines - the systems I work on are completely autonomous and carry very high value payloads, so the architecture is designed to maximize the probability of successful engine operation with secondary concern for cost and complexity. Most critical systems use triple-redundant sensors and electronics, and many (though not all) systems are two-fault-tolerant or better. A common architecture in spaceflight is to use three independent ECUs which have access to all sensors on board, but this does incorporate significant additional complexity.
    • In my opinion, single-fault tolerance is at least a theoretical shortcoming of the FlyEFII system, and does give me some pause when I think about IFR operation where engine failure could be fatal. I think this system could be designed to be more reliable with acceptable complexity; however, as a product for general aviation single piston engine airplanes where we accept single point failure modes, I think Robert has struck a reasonable compromise between reliability, cost, and complexity. Engine failure scenarios are always possible and are a standard part of mission planning, so I don’t think EFII is fundamentally different than a conventional system. In reliability engineering terms, I think improvements would take you from maybe 3 sigma to 4+ sigma, but it's probably not going to make a noticeable difference across any of our flying careers.
Hardware/Operation specifics
  • Critical sensors: RPM, manifold pressure, inlet air temperature*
    • *Inlet air temperature is somewhat less critical, will result in a shift in fuel distribution but not a hard failure
    • Loss of RPM or MAP is unknown territory, unclear what would happen and it doesn’t sound like it’s been tested. It would be nice if failure testing data was available so we can know what to expect.
    • 2x ECUs, but each only mapped to a single sensor – each ECU will fail if one of the critical sensors (RPM or MAP) fails
  • Power bus manager actually has 3x redundancy
    • Essential bus (ignition/injection) runs off one alt, two batteries
    • Main/non-essential bus runs off one alt, two batteries, on a separate circuit
    • Emergency power delivery can be activated via switch and provides a direct path from batteries to hardware to get the plane to the nearest airport.
  • Fuel maps/tuning
    • The system comes pre-loaded with a fuel map based on your engine (IO-390, IO-540, etc.). This map should be pretty close based on normal hardware/operational variability, but many people choose to do fine tuning during preliminary engine dyno testing/run-in/flight test/etc.
    • System is completely open – you have the power to do whatever you want, for better or worse!
    • The system allows you to actively control fuel trim in four ways:
      • All cylinders via a control knob
      • Mapping updates vs. RPM (more common for general mapping) or vs. MAP (rarely used, often just to prevent backfiring when at low throttle coming in to land)
      • Cylinder-specific mapping up to +/- 9% (limits set so you can’t get into a dangerous situation, fuel delivery isn’t always the issue though it may seem to be… Robert told us of an issue he saw where an asymmetric EGT sensor orientation caused the readings to appear different even though they were likely very similar)
      • Updating the mapping at any point (ground or flight) is stored in the system – it will not reset when you power cycle (keep a record of original mapping!)
  • Fuel return line
    • Because the system relies on a constantly pressurized fuel rail to feed the injectors, you need to install a return line to the fuel tanks so the pumps aren’t running deadheaded (zero flow), which is a typical requirement for pumps to avoid damage. This seems like it will add about as much work as running the normal feed line from the tank.
    • Because there’s a large pressure drop across the fuel pressure regulator from the supply line to the return line, the return line will be filled with vapor – Robert said he did bench testing that indicated the return line won’t feed bubbles into the supply line as long as the return line isn’t underneath the supply line (to avoid bubbles floating up and being ingested) and they’re separated by at least 3”. In practice, this seems easy to accomplish.
  • Filters
    • The System32 kit includes two filters: one pre-filter upstream of the pumps, and one downstream of the pumps, upstream of the injectors. Following best practices for filter design, Robert says these filters have much more surface area than some other popularly used models – higher surface area makes it less likely to clog and reduces pressure drop across the filter (and likelihood of filter blowout).
    • Pre-filter: Coarse tank outlet filter to prevent large particles from damaging the fuel pumps – this is a high surface area, removable stainless steel mesh filter that can be backflushed to determine how much debris is in the tanks. Robert said he recommends replacing this in the first ~50 hours of operation of a newly built plane for good measure (since some FOD is inevitable), but subsequent installs last hundreds of hours.
    • Post-filter: fine paper filter to prevent debris from clogging the fuel injectors.
  • Fuel injectors
    • Automotive, mature technology
    • Housings are plastic, not necessarily tolerant of very high temperatures, but likely operate within their design environment.
    • Seems like the aviation environment would normally be similar to an automotive environment – if there was a fire, the hardware could be damaged, but you’re shutting down the engine at that point anyway.
    • Very tight fit in the IO-390, need to modify oil fitting thread (make deeper) and then install the injector housing, but not a huge deal.
    • NPT threads need pipe dope or Loctite, no real difference but need to be careful about FOD and never use Teflon tape.
  • Fuel rails
    • Custom length -6 AN fittings, stainless steel braided hose with Teflon liner, pretty standard.
    • Flexible, minimal concern for fatigue compared to solid rails

Last edited:
From my limited research I’ll add one little tidbit - the system 32 fuel pumps shouldn’t both be run at the same time due low pressure in supply line causing Vapor lock. This is due to the manifold design.

So if the single running pump fails at 200ft this will stop the engine - necessitating the bus manager with auto switchover feature for the pumps - which could be a SPOF in itself. Catch 22.

The SDS pump manifold is different, so both pumps can be run together. The system 32 controller is much cooler.

I am not flying yet. I have performed testing using one single operating pump and then using both bumps running at the same time for some ful flow testing I did a while back to measure electrical current. By no means is this a complete or scientific test or results, but I did not appear to experience any vapor lock. I did notice the fuel flow rate went up a small amount and the current almost doubles. I was running this from 5 gallon fuel containers though the fuel system from wing root to fuel selector to filter to post filter then fuel pressure regular than retuned to same wing root into a different 5 gallong fuel container. Flow met requirements.

I plan on repating this when final assembly take place

Robert did mention not to run them both at the same time. I would rather have the fuel manifold re-designed and run both during critical phases of flight.

Had the chance to tour FlyEFII at Cable Airport in Upland CA (greater Los Angeles area) this weekend with a few other interested builders and figured I’d share my impressions and some of the answers Robert (the founder) was able to give to our numerous questions. Overall, it was a great tour and I was impressed with the system. Additionally, Robert and his business partner Lylah run a professional shop - I was impressed with the relatively advanced manufacturing tools they had and how they've managed to squeeze their entire business into a single hangar. Thanks for sharing so much of your time with us, Robert!

This is a pretty long post, and I know this is a popular topic - I hope it will help others get a jump start on their own research into electronic fuel injection and ignition and also foster some healthy debate on the pros and cons of the architecture as a whole and FlyEFII/System32 specifically. Judgement will always be an element of an engineering decision, but the best rationale is based off data – I think EFII is an inevitable future for general aviation just like how it was for cars, and the experimental community has the ability to help bring this technology to the mainstream and continue to drive our powerplants into the modern age.

Bottom line up front: I think the FlyEFII System32 has some theoretical downsides compared to a conventional magneto system that at least plausibly could result in engine failure where the conventional system would keep chugging along, but the system is designed to meet or exceed the reliability we expect in single piston engine airplanes, and we need more hard data and rigorous analysis to make a real comparison. I suspect this system is at least as reliable as any well-maintained conventional system, and also likely improves system reliability through reducing pilot workload and margin for error with manual mixture control (in addition to nice-to-have efficiency and maintenance/engine life improvements). I plan on installing it in my RV-14 for cross-country IFR operation that will take me over the mountains.

Note: I use FlyEFII/System32 somewhat interchangeably, but EFII is generally used in reference to the generic architecture – sorry for any confusion! Also, I haven’t had a chance to dive as deep into the competitors, so this is admittedly an incomplete review of the EFII landscape.

Quick reference to get up to speed:
  • I read some good Kitplanes articles for reference before the tour, these were a good primer:
  • There’s more detail in the FlyEFII Installation Manual, Bus Manager Installation Manual, and the User Manual (have to email Robert for it), but here’s a high level overview. I’m building an RV-14 with a 4-cylinder IO-390, so some of the specifics are tailored to that application – for example, add another ignition coil for a 6-cylinder IO-540:
    • Fuel injection:
      • Redundant fuel pump pair, commercial pumps mounted in custom-machined housings.
      • Constantly pressurized cold fuel supply rail (plus fuel return line), standard stainless steel braided, teflon lined hoses.
      • Single electronically actuated solenoid fuel injector per cylinder, fires into air intake through cylinder head. Automotive injectors mounted in custom-machined housings for mounting to the cylinders.
    • Ignition:
      • 2 automotive iridium spark plugs per cylinder, each ECU powers a single spark plug per cylinder.
      • 2 ignition coils, each coil powered by a single ECU and each coil powers a single spark plug per cylinder
    • Electronics
      • Professionally outsourced circuit boards mounted in custom-machined ECU housing, some other fancy features like gold EMI plating and RF filters.
      • Two redundant Engine Control Units (ECUs)
      • Critical sensors: 2 automotive manifold air pressure transducers, 1 custom RPM sensor via magnetic pickup and magnets precision-installed in the flywheel, and 2 intake air temperature sensors (less important than MAP and RPM).
      • Non-critical sensors: 1 engine temperature sensor installed in unplugged port in the rear cylinder (others plugged), 1 throttle position sensor, optional oxygen sensor for info-only air-fuel ratio
      • Digital controller/display – same hardware as Garmin G5
      • Harnesses built in house
      • System tested in house before shipment
    • Power supply
      • 2 batteries
      • 1 alternator minimum, 2 recommended
      • Custom power bus manager recommended, 2 redundant busses (1 critical, 1 non-critical), emergency backup direct-wired switch for third level of redundancy. Bus manager has a very large range of acceptable voltage input, increasing likelihood of continue operation in the event of alternator/battery/voltage regulator issues.
From my perspective, here are the pros and cons of this system relative to what I consider a conventional setup – a mechanical fuel pump and mechanical magnetos (conventional or E/P-mag). Some of these are true for electronic systems in general, and some are specific to the FlyEFII system. Definitely interested in dissenting opinions or other aspects I might have missed!
  • Pros
    • No mixture control knob – reduced pilot workload and automatically optimized fuel delivery across the operational envelope for both efficiency and safe operation from low idle to wide open throttle.
    • Variable spark timing and automotive spark plugs (large, efficient spark) for optimized combustion efficiency at all throttle settings and operational conditions (namely altitude), which reduces fuel consumption on the order of 1 GPH. Not revolutionary, but saves a decent amount of money and adds endurance.
    • Inexpensive automotive spark plugs can be replaced for less cost than overhauling traditional massive electrode spark plugs.
    • Reduced weight – I’m not sure the exact numbers, but it’s probably a few pounds.
    • No risk of vapor lock during hot starts since the system has a fuel tank return line. Hot starts can be achieved on almost any engine, but it typically requires a patience-testing procedure.
    • No risk of inadvertent starts, even if the prop is turned – prop needs to be turning at least 50 RPM for the system to engage.
    • Customizable fuel mapping for precise control of engine operation across all operating conditions. Fuel delivery can be adjusted for all cylinders at once and also tuned for individual cylinders, on the ground and in the air.
    • System can save all operational data to an SD card for detailed review of data for troubleshooting and performance optimization.
    • Electronically-controlled ignition system has a built-in rev limiter to prevent over-speed.
    • Flexible fuel choices – operates with 100LL, 100UL, or auto gas. With the inevitable shift to unleaded fuel coming soon, this is a notable benefit to me.
    • Very little maintenance, fuel filter replacement every few hundred hours, not sure about pump replacement interval but likely very infrequent, spark plugs typically have long life, etc.
  • Cons
    • System is electrically dependent, so there are failure modes where loss of power can result in the engine stopping.
    • No provision to hand prop to start – not a huge deal, but notable.
    • Manual intervention required to switch over to the redundant ECU system if there is a failure of any single-fault-tolerant critical component in the primary control loop (ECU, MAP/IAT sensor, etc.) – this can cause the engine to stop, though the propeller would likely remain spinning and restart would likely be quick once fuel and spark are returned.
    • Relatively complex compared to conventional magneto system.
Architecture and philosophy
  • Automotive components: the system incorporates several automotive components such as the fuel injector, MAP/throttle/temp sensors, etc.
    • I asked Robert to counter a common argument I’ve seen that, specifically within the context of EFII, automotive components are less reliable than their aviation counterparts. His opinion is that this is mostly based on perception, and isn’t really founded on first principles or hard data (and within the EFII ecosystem, there aren’t really any systems that haven’t evolved using automotive parts). He had some issues with component reliability in the early design, but upgraded the hardware to what is seen as the top of the line in the auto world, and hasn’t seen any significant issues since. The environments of a race motorcycle or car engine are similar to an aviation application, so I think this is a reasonable take.
    • In my opinion, concrete reliability data (e.g. # critical component failures per 1,000 hours operation) is necessary to evolve this debate from judgement-based decisions to objective evaluation.
    • Some other thoughts:
      • Auto hardware benefits from large scale implementation and has lots of data to inform the design, particularly for high-end applications where designers care about their reputation and performance.
      • The hardware incorporated into System32 is based on Robert’s personal experience with their effectiveness and reliability – while somewhat anecdotal, 30 years of experience shouldn’t be dismissed.
  • Design stability
    • Some components changed from the initial design, but the design has been locked in for a while now, and Robert says no changes are planned. Potential certification opportunities may bring in new requirements, but nothing that Robert thinks is critical for operation.
  • Failure tolerance architecture/philosophy
    • System32 is designed for single-fault tolerance in most cases – failure of the manifold air pressure sensor being read by ECU1 will cause failover to ECU2, and if any critical sensor fails on that system, the system can’t be expected to operate correctly. In the interest of simplicity, the ECUs are not wired to take input from both of the redundant sensors.
    • This is an area where I had some difficulty adjusting my expectations. My day job is propulsion engineering for rocket engines - the systems I work on are completely autonomous and carry very high value payloads, so the architecture is designed to maximize the probability of successful engine operation with secondary concern for cost and complexity. Most critical systems use triple-redundant sensors and electronics, and many (though not all) systems are two-fault-tolerant or better. A common architecture in spaceflight is to use three independent ECUs which have access to all sensors on board, but this does incorporate significant additional complexity.
    • In my opinion, single-fault tolerance is at least a theoretical shortcoming of the FlyEFII system, and does give me some pause when I think about IFR operation where engine failure could be fatal. I think this system could be designed to be more reliable with acceptable complexity; however, as a product for general aviation single piston engine airplanes where we accept single point failure modes, I think Robert has struck a reasonable compromise between reliability, cost, and complexity. Engine failure scenarios are always possible and are a standard part of mission planning, so I don’t think EFII is fundamentally different than a conventional system. In reliability engineering terms, I think improvements would take you from maybe 3 sigma to 4+ sigma, but it's probably not going to make a noticeable difference across any of our flying careers.
Hardware/Operation specifics
  • Critical sensors: RPM, manifold pressure, inlet air temperature*
    • *Inlet air temperature is somewhat less critical, will result in a shift in fuel distribution but not a hard failure
    • Loss of RPM or MAP is unknown territory, unclear what would happen and it doesn’t sound like it’s been tested. It would be nice if failure testing data was available so we can know what to expect.
    • 2x ECUs, but each only mapped to a single sensor – each ECU will fail if one of the critical sensors (RPM or MAP) fails
  • Power bus manager actually has 3x redundancy
    • Essential bus (ignition/injection) runs off one alt, two batteries
    • Main/non-essential bus runs off one alt, two batteries, on a separate circuit
    • Emergency power delivery can be activated via switch and provides a direct path from batteries to hardware to get the plane to the nearest airport.
  • Fuel maps/tuning
    • The system comes pre-loaded with a fuel map based on your engine (IO-390, IO-540, etc.). This map should be pretty close based on normal hardware/operational variability, but many people choose to do fine tuning during preliminary engine dyno testing/run-in/flight test/etc.
    • System is completely open – you have the power to do whatever you want, for better or worse!
    • The system allows you to actively control fuel trim in four ways:
      • All cylinders via a control knob
      • Mapping updates vs. RPM (more common for general mapping) or vs. MAP (rarely used, often just to prevent backfiring when at low throttle coming in to land)
      • Cylinder-specific mapping up to +/- 9% (limits set so you can’t get into a dangerous situation, fuel delivery isn’t always the issue though it may seem to be… Robert told us of an issue he saw where an asymmetric EGT sensor orientation caused the readings to appear different even though they were likely very similar)
      • Updating the mapping at any point (ground or flight) is stored in the system – it will not reset when you power cycle (keep a record of original mapping!)
  • Fuel return line
    • Because the system relies on a constantly pressurized fuel rail to feed the injectors, you need to install a return line to the fuel tanks so the pumps aren’t running deadheaded (zero flow), which is a typical requirement for pumps to avoid damage. This seems like it will add about as much work as running the normal feed line from the tank.
    • Because there’s a large pressure drop across the fuel pressure regulator from the supply line to the return line, the return line will be filled with vapor – Robert said he did bench testing that indicated the return line won’t feed bubbles into the supply line as long as the return line isn’t underneath the supply line (to avoid bubbles floating up and being ingested) and they’re separated by at least 3”. In practice, this seems easy to accomplish.
  • Filters
    • The System32 kit includes two filters: one pre-filter upstream of the pumps, and one downstream of the pumps, upstream of the injectors. Following best practices for filter design, Robert says these filters have much more surface area than some other popularly used models – higher surface area makes it less likely to clog and reduces pressure drop across the filter (and likelihood of filter blowout).
    • Pre-filter: Coarse tank outlet filter to prevent large particles from damaging the fuel pumps – this is a high surface area, removable stainless steel mesh filter that can be backflushed to determine how much debris is in the tanks. Robert said he recommends replacing this in the first ~50 hours of operation of a newly built plane for good measure (since some FOD is inevitable), but subsequent installs last hundreds of hours.
    • Post-filter: fine paper filter to prevent debris from clogging the fuel injectors.
  • Fuel injectors
    • Automotive, mature technology
    • Housings are plastic, not necessarily tolerant of very high temperatures, but likely operate within their design environment.
    • Seems like the aviation environment would normally be similar to an automotive environment – if there was a fire, the hardware could be damaged, but you’re shutting down the engine at that point anyway.
    • Very tight fit in the IO-390, need to modify oil fitting thread (make deeper) and then install the injector housing, but not a huge deal.
    • NPT threads need pipe dope or Loctite, no real difference but need to be careful about FOD and never use Teflon tape.
  • Fuel rails
    • Custom length -6 AN fittings, stainless steel braided hose with Teflon liner, pretty standard.
    • Flexible, minimal concern for fatigue compared to solid rails
Some additions:

I have nearly 500 hours on the EFII system installed in my RV-10. The system has been flawless.

I am running a modified Z-14 architecture, dual batteries, dual alternators.

Both ECUs would need to fail simultaneously to cause a loss of spark as half of the plugs are on each ECU.

As there is only one injector for each cylinder, only one ECU controls at a time necessitating a switch if the primary ECU fails. As stated in a prior post, the prop would likely not even stop rotating and restart would be instant.

I have never had any issues with the return line location that I chose. Details at mykitlog.com/rocketman.

The engine starts like a car first time, every time, hot or cold.

With the -10 and an IO-540, hand propping is likely never going to be a factor.

I used the EFII filters to begin with. I opted to replace them with Holley racing filters because the Holley filters are serviceable and the EFII filters are remove and replace.

Do not put the post filter in the tunnel. Even with side access, it is a PITA to get to and you will always get a bit of spillage when changing the filter. I moved my post filter to forward of the firewall for ease of access, inspection, and service.

I put my pre filters beneath the front seats. It works and they are accessible but if I built another -10, I would try to locate them in the wing root. TS Flightlines has a system for this.

Consider installing a fuel shut off valve between the tank and pre filter. If you don't, you will need to drain the tank to change the filter as it will run freely from the tank when the filter is removed.

There are two different fuel pumps available for the system. The stock pump is 155 lph and suitable for engines less than 300 hp. My system came with the stock pumps but I am not running a stock IO-540. My engine makes just shy of 300 hp, verified on the dyno. Working with several other RV-10 guys running the stock pumps and higher HP engines, we found that at high power settings, the was not enough pump volume to maintain a constant pressure in the system. It worked fine and never had any issues but looking at the savvy data, a decrease in pressure was noted. We (several of us) decided to go to the other available pump, which is 255 lph. The pumps are nearly identical in size and it was easy to retrofit. All pressure indications are now exactly what they are supposed to be. I note this because if you are building a higher HP RV-10, you might want to install the 255 lph pumps from the start. If you are running a stock 540, you will likely not see any pressure loss.

The on-the-fly tuning is really nice. For those who really want to dig into tuning, the options available give you a lot to play with.

I am very happy with the System 32 and it will be installed in my next build, as well.

"Only" 100 hours on my System32 and it runs flawlessly. Starts like a modern car, in hot or cold weather either cold, warm or hot engine.
Obviously no vapour lock as ~50 GPH runs in the fuel lines at all times. If there are bubbles after the pressure regulator, who cares if the in-tank return line is far enough from the pickup line.

One mistake I did during installation/setup was with the MAX RPM setting. It cuts the ignition just prior to reaching that number then re-lights 40ish RPM lower.
I put mine at 2700 and at first take-off, I had a studder (rev limiter). Reducing the prop speed a bit eliminated the studder.
After reviewing the EFIS data, it clearly showed a 2680 to 2640 to 2680 etc (very quick) RPM variation.
I set it to 2750 and never had the studder again. Low pitch stops and then prop governor now limits my RPM.

Yes, with 2 batteries and 2 alternators, just in case... Could do it with, say, one alternator and 2 batteries.

Only 1 fuel pump at a time (#1/Auto) as the BMS will instantly switch to #2 if pressure drops below a set value.
The engine doesn't even miss a quarter beat, it's unnoticeable if switched from one to another. Tested it at idle, 1800 and 2700 RPM.
I would never consider this setup without the BMS. Mandatory piece of equipment in my view. Correctly connected of course.

As for the ECU's, I have a select 1 or 2 switch for "primary fuel" + a grounding "test" switch for each. I always run on #1.
On run-up, I kill one then the other, similar to a magneto test.
When one or the other is off, I get the expexted RPM drop, but outside of that the engine runs normally.
So if one would fail, there's no re-start needed, just a slight drop in RPM (70ish for me)

Fuel mapping is straightforward and simple to do, just follow the instructions.
Tweaking each injector afterwards a non-issue.
With the fuel trim knob, and help from the EFIS, it's easy to run LOP when at cruise power.
Otherwise, leave it at 0% on take-off, climb and just before landing. It takes care of density altitude, no guessing around/mixture adjusting. Set it and (almost) forget it.

It's a different system from traditional aviation setups, I find it simpler to operate and more efficient (fuel/spark) in operation.

It's not simpler to install, The ECU's, BMS and Controller take up some real-estate, wiring/cables routing needs consideration as for the fuel rail/lines.
It can be a challenge for some. Good planning, preperation and understanding the system is a must.

Someone not knowing, wishing to fly it should get a good breiffing on architecture, ops and emergency procedures.

Would I do it again on another build ? 100% yes.

"Only" 100 hours on my System32 and it runs flawlessly. Starts like a modern car, in hot or cold weather either cold, warm or hot engine.
Obviously no vapour lock as ~50 GPH runs in the fuel lines at all times. If there are bubbles after the pressure regulator, who cares if the in-tank return line is far enough from the pickup line.

One mistake I did during installation/setup was with the MAX RPM setting. It cuts the ignition just prior to reaching that number then re-lights 40ish RPM lower.
I put mine at 2700 and at first take-off, I had a studder (rev limiter). Reducing the prop speed a bit eliminated the studder.
After reviewing the EFIS data, it clearly showed a 2680 to 2640 to 2680 etc (very quick) RPM variation.
I set it to 2750 and never had the studder again. Low pitch stops and then prop governor now limits my RPM.

Yes, with 2 batteries and 2 alternators, just in case... Could do it with, say, one alternator and 2 batteries.

Only 1 fuel pump at a time (#1/Auto) as the BMS will instantly switch to #2 if pressure drops below a set value.
The engine doesn't even miss a quarter beat, it's unnoticeable if switched from one to another. Tested it at idle, 1800 and 2700 RPM.
I would never consider this setup without the BMS. Mandatory piece of equipment in my view. Correctly connected of course.

As for the ECU's, I have a select 1 or 2 switch for "primary fuel" + a grounding "test" switch for each. I always run on #1.
On run-up, I kill one then the other, similar to a magneto test.
When one or the other is off, I get the expexted RPM drop, but outside of that the engine runs normally.
So if one would fail, there's no re-start needed, just a slight drop in RPM (70ish for me)

Fuel mapping is straightforward and simple to do, just follow the instructions.
Tweaking each injector afterwards a non-issue.
With the fuel trim knob, and help from the EFIS, it's easy to run LOP when at cruise power.
Otherwise, leave it at 0% on take-off, climb and just before landing. It takes care of density altitude, no guessing around/mixture adjusting. Set it and (almost) forget it.

It's a different system from traditional aviation setups, I find it simpler to operate and more efficient (fuel/spark) in operation.

It's not simpler to install, The ECU's, BMS and Controller take up some real-estate, wiring/cables routing needs consideration as for the fuel rail/lines.
It can be a challenge for some. Good planning, preperation and understanding the system is a must.

Someone not knowing, wishing to fly it should get a good breiffing on architecture, ops and emergency procedures.

Would I do it again on another build ? 100% yes.
Thank you all for the post. I’m looking at buying a RV10 with this system. Does anyone have good briefing on architecture, ops and emergency procedures?

Thank you all for the post. I’m looking at buying a RV10 with this system. Does anyone have good briefing on architecture, ops and emergency procedures?
You are going to get many, many opinions on architecture; it is electrically dependent and there is no real standard for how each builder designs their electrical system. That makes it really difficult to know much about ops or emergency procedures without knowing what the architecture is.

I can send you a copy of my home brewed checklist and emergency procedures.
Not saying they are a model to follow blindly but they work for my RV. Might not be appropriate for another.
Then you can use/adjust/modify at will to fill your purpose. Use with caution.
Be patient, I’m away from home until early month.

I can send you a copy of my home brewed checklist and emergency procedures.
Not saying they are a model to follow blindly but they work for my RV. Might not be appropriate for another.
Then you can use/adjust/modify at will to fill your purpose. Use with caution.
Be patient, I’m away from home until early month.
Thank You!

... and also likely improves system reliability through reducing pilot workload and margin for error with manual mixture control (in addition to nice-to-have efficiency and maintenance/engine life improvements).

What practical error can a pilot make with a push-pull mixture knob that he can't make with an EFI's twist knob?

Any efficiency gain is very, very minimal.

There is no practical difference in routine maintenance. There is however some theoretical advantage in not so much fuel flooding for a cold start, i.e. less cylinder wall washing.

That was the throw-the-dog-a-bone article. Prior article, same day, same dyno comparison: https://www.kitplanes.com/fuel-fire/

Single electronically actuated solenoid fuel injector per cylinder, fires into air intake through cylinder head. Automotive injectors mounted in custom-machined housings for mounting to the cylinders.

Are the injectors still mounted on the hot side of the cylinder, i.e. below the heads, adjacent to the exhaust headers?

Custom power bus manager recommended, 2 redundant busses (1 critical, 1 non-critical), emergency backup direct-wired switch for third level of redundancy. Bus manager has a very large range of acceptable voltage input, increasing likelihood of continue operation in the event of alternator/battery/voltage regulator issues.

How many amps go to waste heat?

BTW, the backup switch got added by builders when some failure modes became obvious.

Ad copy. There is a mixture control knob, used to adjust from best power mixture to best economy mixture...same as a conventional constant flow system.

More ad copy. Any of the electronic ignitions can extend the lean limit.

Variable spark timing has limited value with the angle valve 390.

No risk of vapor lock during hot starts since the system has a fuel tank return line. Hot starts can be achieved on almost any engine, but it typically requires a patience-testing procedure.

Quite a few constant flow installations have a return line. It can be added to any of them if cool fuel flushing is desired.

Fuel delivery can be adjusted for all cylinders at once and also tuned for individual cylinders, on the ground and in the air.

Ahh, now there's a real advantage to EFI. Doing the same with a constant flow requires swapping restrictors. No question, keying in new values is faster.

Flexible fuel choices – operates with 100LL, 100UL, or auto gas. With the inevitable shift to unleaded fuel coming soon, this is a notable benefit to me.

Same, EFI or constant flow. Heck, the AFP system was originally designed to run on alcohol.

Automotive components: the system incorporates several automotive components such as the fuel injector, MAP/throttle/temp sensors, etc.
  • I asked Robert to counter a common argument I’ve seen that, specifically within the context of EFII, automotive components are less reliable than their aviation counterparts.

Current automotive electronics are generally superior to much of what we're getting in the EAB world. AEC Q200 specifies Grade 0 or Grade 1 temperature tolerance (150C and 125C respectively). The auto manufacturers themselves long ago adopted standards higher than Q200. Unfortunately, not all our EAB vendors think it's worthwhile.

I'm not sure about System 32. Given the brain box is not engine mounted, temperature rating probably doesn't matter.

Because there’s a large pressure drop across the fuel pressure regulator from the supply line to the return line, the return line will be filled with vapor.

Vapor pressure is also a function of temperature. A system which does not heat the circulating fuel has a significant advantage. Note the previous question about injector and fuel rail location.

I like PWM fuel injection, and think it's the future. It sure did wonders for cars. I just think some of the claims go a bit too far.

Last edited:
Dan, would you be able to provide some details for why this is?

Theory says the angle valve's ports and chamber provide better swirl and tumble, thus shorter combustion times, which requires less advance to make peak pressure arrive at the desired point ATDC. It's hot rodding 101; when comparing two cylinder heads, the one with the shortest timing to make peak power is the better design.

On the empirical side, there are a few 390 owners with ignition systems which allow inflight adjustment or substitution of timing advance schedules. Repeated live substitutions just don't display a significant performance advantage with increasing advance.

Standard is 20 BTDC. Long ago, while developing the 390, Monty Barrett settled on 23 as the best overall fixed setting. Pushing cruise advance to around 29 picks up a knot, maybe, if in the 50 LOP region where combustion is slowed. At peak EGT, I can't tell any difference between 23 and 29, swapping back and forth with the flip of a switch.

The parallel valve engines are different. Nigel Speedy published the best documented timing response.

Last edited:
I've had a number of requests to install these systems in flying RVs and I've refused the work as I don't want to be the front line of support. Friend of mine has a very nice RV-7 I maintain with an EFII system. Due to various reliability problems he wanted me to remove the system last year and I talked him out of it, mostly due to my workload. Removing the system will involve considerable modifications. He just got back from a trip to AK and had a few major issues. Texted me and asked me to remove this <bleep> and put mags/FI on it. Too complex and no GA mechanic will touch them. If you like to tinker, these systems may be the thing for you but if you want to fly reliably, the dumb systems are hard to beat.

Too complex and no GA mechanic will touch them
The mechanic issue is a very strong consideration, since most people will sell their RV some day. I don't know the numbers, but it seems like about 50% or more of RVs are now owned by someone other than the original builder. Putting in something "non-standard" will require the next owner to find a mechanic who will work on it.

BTW, I enjoyed the article, Matt. I think you summarized things nicely.

I've had a number of requests to install these systems in flying RVs and I've refused the work as I don't want to be the front line of support. Friend of mine has a very nice RV-7 I maintain with an EFII system. Due to various reliability problems he wanted me to remove the system last year and I talked him out of it, mostly due to my workload. Removing the system will involve considerable modifications. He just got back from a trip to AK and had a few major issues. Texted me and asked me to remove this <bleep> and put mags/FI on it. Too complex and no GA mechanic will touch them. If you like to tinker, these systems may be the thing for you but if you want to fly reliably, the dumb systems are hard to beat.
“Various reliability problems”…please enlighten us to the problems so that we can learn from them.

Honestly, the system was either not installed properly or the owner does not understand the system.

As for tinkering, that is an individual choice; if you want to tinker you can but after the initial setup, there is no requirement to do so.

It is your prerogative not to install/uninstall/service these systems but that does not make the systems bad.

Are they for everyone? Not yet, but the future isn’t magnetos.

Honestly, the system was either not installed properly or the owner does not understand the system.
How can you possibly make this statement without knowing some basic facts? Crank sensor failures have nothing to do with installation errors or not understanding the system. Quite the opposite in this case...the owner is very familiar with the system.

I put 150 hours a year on my Comanche and in four years haven't touched the mags or the FI components outside of normal inspections.

How can you possibly make this statement without knowing some basic facts? Crank sensor failures have nothing to do with installation errors or not understanding the system. Quite the opposite in this case...the owner is very familiar with the system.

I put 150 hours a year on my Comanche and in four years haven't touched the mags or the FI components outside of normal inspections.
I put over 100 hours a year on my -10 (with EFII) and I haven’t had to do anything in the same four years.

Can you say how many crank sensor failures you have seen and which EFI system the failures were on? Also, what was the cause of the failure?

If it’s a systemic problem, I am sure we would like to know in an effort to prevent a failure; if it is anecdotal, there are examples of mags failing, too.

Can you also address the lack of reliability cause?

Not trying to get in an argument but there are many others using, or will using, these systems and we are all here to learn. Specific information can help mitigate potential risks.

Opinion:

You can make an argument that EI makes sense. It idles smoother without all of the advance, you get a little more out of the engine when LOP, it will ignite mixtures too lean or rich for a mag, but I can’t think of any reason to do EFI other than it will run on any fuel.

Once you get the right sizes of injectors mechanical injection gives you the same efficiency and I don’t see the difference between an electronic or mechanical knob for mixture. You might argue that the EFI setup is automatic, but is it? It’s an open loop fuel injection system. I wouldn’t trust it to do LOP blindly.

For these reasons I like the idea of AFP and EI and if my EI system fails or I sell the airplane, I just uninstall it and put in a mag. That’s far easier to do than replacing the entire fuel system.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts on the subject.

Last edited:
What practical error can a pilot make with a push-pull mixture knob that he can't make with an EFI's twist knob?
A mixture knob on a traditional mechanical FI or carb is a required control that is manipulated on every flight. The mixture knob on the SDS EFI is an “emergency use only” thing (I’ll assume the other EFI product is similar, since it is a derivative of SDS). As such, the mixture knob is much more likely to be mishandled during a normal flight than an EFI twist knob. Who has not accidentally pulled the mixture knob out to ICO when intending to pull the throttle to idle? (I have). Who automatically goes to the “open hand, all knobs to the firewall” on a botched landing/go around? How often is this NOT the best practice at a high DA airport? With EFI, the mixture just doesn’t come into normal play - it just works.

Last edited:
Once you get the right sizes of injectors mechanical injection gives you the same efficiency
Yes and no. If a bunch of RV drivers are sitting at the bar telling lies about their speeds and fuel burns on the trip to OSH, there is probably not a lot of practical difference if both systems are optimized. That said, the mechanical injectors ability to atomize the spray pattern is highly dependent on fuel pressure and the upper deck air pressure differential. Since altitude, throttle position and fuel flow all directly impact this condition, the fuel pattern is also highly variable. This variation will affect the resulting combustion efficiency and is one of the primary drivers of the move away from carbs and mechanical FI in passenger cars decades ago. An EFI injector works at a (nearly) constant pressure and flow rate so the spray pattern is consistent regardless of altitude or RPM.

A mixture knob on a traditional mechanical FI or carb is a required control that is manipulated on every flight. The mixture knob on the SDS EFI is an “emergency use only” thing (I’ll assume the other EFI product is similar, since it is a derivative of SDS). As such, the mixture knob is much more likely to be mishandled during a normal flight than an EFI twist knob. Who has not accidentally pulled the mixture knob out to ICO when intending to pull the throttle to idle? (I have). Who automatically goes to the “open hand, all knobs to the firewall” on a botched landing/go around? How often is this NOT the best practice at a high DA airport? With EFI, the mixture just doesn’t come into normal play - it just works.
Agreed, my mixture adjustment unless I'm flying cross country (Over one hour) never gets touched. (-25% above 6,000 ft to go LOP and let is ride until descending) Change plugs every 200 hours and they look brand knew. Yes, understanding EFI operation is important that is true for every critical component we operate in the EAB world. Wouldn't change for the world.

Mike, tell us how a single program setting delivers best power mixture OR best economy mixture without touching the mixture knob.

Mike, tell us how a single program setting delivers best power mixture OR best economy mixture without touching the mixture knob.
It can’t, but that was not the premise of your earlier post. The SDS EFI scheme includes a barometric as well as MAP lookup table to maintain best power mixture from sea level to the Flight Levels without pilot input. The engine will operate properly without direct pilot input to the mixture control. That cannot be said of the typical mechanical FI or carb where the mixture knob is adjusted constantly as a requirement to proper engine operation. So to your question “what practical error can a pilot make with a push pull knob…” is related to the ease of access and substantially similar control action the traditional mixture knob shares with several other primary engine controls. Much like the early Bonanza flap and gear switches were similar in shape, action and co located which resulted in many gear up incidents on landing rollout when the pilot mistakenly actuated the gear instead of flaps, the traditional mixture knob can and is often mishandled by mistake.

So to your question, it’s not that a EFI mixture “can’t“ be mishandled, it likely “won’t” simply because it is not in the normal operational flow of the pilot. Manipulation requires deliberate and discrete thought, where the traditional knob is almost subconscious, thus more likely to be mishandled. This factor is a legitimate discriminator for the SDS architecture (again, assuming the other EFI product is substantially similar owing to their derivative nature).

With all that said, concerning your focus on the ability to run best power or best economy - I think we need to frame the discussion with the fact that many pilots never fly “best economy”, let alone LOP. It is a discrete decision and up to the PIC if they want to enter that realm of engine operation. Many don’t. As an SDS user who DOES make the decision to enter the realm of “best economy” on most flights, I do it without touching the mixture knob. The modified ECU map that allows proper LOP operation (ignition timing and mixture) is accessed with the flip of a single switch. So at that point in the flight when I wish to make the jump from best power to economy, I locate the switch, and actuate it. This may be during the climb, top of climb, or an hour down range. No fiddling with any knob required. Ahhh, but what if my failure prone, no checklist using, human brain forgets to undo this action and I descend into the pattern at my destination and have to do a max power go around with the mixture leaned and ignition advanced due to my out of position switch? No Big Deal. At some point during the descent when the barro and MAP sensors detected I was in thick enough air to make a lean mixture and big advance inappropriate, it disabled the LOP switch function and reverted back to the best power program. At low altitudes, I can saw at the throttle with reckless abandon with or without the LOP switch active and the ECU will keep the engine safe. So with my system, I rarely touch the mixture knob at all. Every once in a while I may move it slightly one way or another off center to satisfy some curiosity about how the engine is running, but it is nowhere near any routine to touch it in normal ops.

Mike, you're stretching thin....

Cliffs Notes Summary:

EFI is better because pilots can be easily confused about which knob does what.

Although users like to claim "greater efficiency", most are riding around like a student unsure of the red knob, and never actually attempt to run efficiently.

SDS owners are qualified to preload two fuel/timing maps, despite being confused by knobs. Unless of course they want to use the knob.

(I keed, I keed!)

ScreenHunter_2308 Jun. 26 15.40.jpg

So, you don't want to put them on, and you don't want to take them off either? They don't cause cancer by contact, you know.

Personally I prefer the SDS system over the EFII - but either one, if properly installed and configured, will work just fine. Way too many instances of people flying these without RTFM though, and not knowing what is going on.

Mike, you're stretching thin....

Cliffs Notes Summary:
Now you are putting words in my mouth. You asked if there was a "practical error" concerning the mixture control. I answered fully.

You are making a fantastic leap inferring that I said EFI was "better" as a result of answering that one, narrowly focused element of EFI operation.

So I'll say it again in Cliff's notes form: The control you don't have to touch is safer than the control that needs correct and routine manipulation just to keep the engine running. CRM 101

So I'll say it again in Cliff's notes form: The control you don't have to touch is safer than the control that needs correct and routine manipulation just to keep the engine running. CRM 101
Say what?
Mechanical FI and carbs will run just fine with the mixture pushed in from TO to TD (assuming they are correctly adjusted).
Leaning is optional, and only taught in the 'advanced class'.

Last edited:
Say what?
Mechanical FI and carbs will run just fine with the mixture pushed in from TO to TD (assuming they are correctly adjusted).
Leaning is optional, and only taught in the 'advanced class'.

Yep.

A dual diaphragm Bendix-type injection responds to changes in air density due to altitude. The system is based on ram and venturi pressure deltaP, both a function of the fundamental “1/2 rho V2” aero equation, where rho is density and V is velocity. A change in density has the same practical effect as a change in velocity, increasing or decreasing air diaphragm force, which directly controls the fuel servo's ball valve.

Data from a test climb, FM200 on a 390, full rich and WOT/2700. Standard density at 15,000 is 67% of the 2000 foot density (0.0481/0.0721), while fuel flow declines to 77% (13.7/17.8). Not a perfect match; the result is a small overall enrichment. However, the power curve is largely flat at the rich end of the mixture range, so the power reduction due to this additional richness is only about 5%.

Fuel Flow vs Density.JPG

Ok, I now concede that there is no practical difference in the risk of mishandling a control that is used every flight vs. one that is never touched in flight. You guys got me.

BTW, the chart above and the strenuous argument to prove that leaning is "optional" flies in the face of decades of mountainous and high DA airfield operations training. Remember that whole "lean to best power BEFORE takeoff" thing we all got as students? Might not be the best use of the forum to downplay the importance of the mixture control. Just sayin'.

I think we all know that humans are not good at doing things consistently and correctly. Having a reliable, fully automated ignition and fuel injection system will increase safety and increase efficiency. The systems that are on the market today get very close to this objective, and will probably evolve to get to the place we need them to be to become more widely accepted. This discussion is very similar to the EFIS discussions of decades ago.

The challenges today for any builder or owner of an aircraft with a system like this is to ensure that it's installed correctly, that the installation is designed to handle known and unknown failure modes, and that any special operations required by the system are known to the pilot that's flying the aircraft. Additionally, any regular maintenance on the system needs to be clear to the mechanic, including having the ability to validate that the failure modes are handled correctly.

BTW, the chart above and the strenuous argument to prove that leaning is "optional" flies in the face of decades of mountainous and high DA airfield operations training. Remember that whole "lean to best power BEFORE takeoff" thing we all got as students? Might not be the best use of the forum to downplay the importance of the mixture control. Just sayin'.

I just returned from a few weeks of flying at high DA's and elevations, alongside a very sharp buddy running EFI in his bird. His son did a lot of the flying while he tweaked the rotary mixture knob and kept a log of the +/- values for best result. After flying the system for many years, he is still defining optimum settings.

Novices as well as sharp engineers like my friend are expected to set up their own fuel and timing maps, or accept whatever default the vendor programmed. Consider...are all those EFI systems calibrated any better than the FM200 detailed above? Opinion, but I think it more likely there is a wide variation...but just like the constant flow, close enough can work, even if imperfect.

I'm not downplaying use of the mixture control. Quite the opposite. I'm sayin' effective use of the mixture control is generally required for optimum results with EFI as well as constant flow. The current EFI offerings are not closed loop systems. They're speed-density, calibrated to an expectation, and are not self adjusting to meet the conditions of the moment.

Do your research. SDS all the way imho. Very impressed with the quality of their components and support.

It's interesting that Rotax basically went full FI/EI. The main weak spot with the 912 was those darned Bing carbs. 4 sets of floats later....

Just gotta satisfy the back up to the Redundancy Department fully.

Do your research. SDS all the way imho. Very impressed with the quality of their components and support.

It's interesting that Rotax basically went full FI/EI. The main weak spot with the 912 was those darned Bing carbs. 4 sets of floats later....

Just gotta satisfy the back up to the Redundancy Department fully.
Yep, did the research and went with EFII.

It’s been flawless since day one.

I installed the FlyEFII system on my 14A and am very happy. Two things I wish were different:

- The encoder fuel trim wheel and the accelerated adjustment when clicking over multiple steps at once. Makes it VERY difficult to quickly trim through the redzone going LOP and not overshoot.
- Each ECU covers a plug in every cylinder but they're either top or bottom. On traditional mags, you'll have half top and half bottom. That gives a symmetric reading when doing a mag test. With top and bottom now separate, there's an asymmetrical reading when doing the test as all bottom plugs firing differs from all top plugs firing.

Also, I had my engine shop mount the fuel injectors on top of the cylinders into the normal fuel injection port. So much happier with a fuel rail on top away from the exhaust.

The current EFI offerings are not closed loop systems.
From my neighbor who has SDS on his RV-10 - “I hate to disagree with Professor Horton, but the latest upgrade to SDS (EM-6) actually does support closed loop operation. It does require O2 sensors (a good idea for tuning regardless) and highly recommends the use of unleaded fuel to prevent premature failure of the O2 sensor(s). “

From my neighbor who has SDS on his RV-10 - “I hate to disagree with Professor Horton, but the latest upgrade to SDS (EM-6) actually does support closed loop operation. It does require O2 sensors (a good idea for tuning regardless) and highly recommends the use of unleaded fuel to prevent premature failure of the O2 sensor(s). “

Tell em Horton knows about the EM6. Someday, when we're all running unleaded, closed loop will be practical, just like our cars. Ross and Barry are to be complimented for moving proactively. Let's hope the FAA will catch up.

I installed the FlyEFII system on my 14A and am very happy. Two things I wish were different:

- The encoder fuel trim wheel and the accelerated adjustment when clicking over multiple steps at once. Makes it VERY difficult to quickly trim through the redzone going LOP and not overshoot.
- Each ECU covers a plug in every cylinder but they're either top or bottom. On traditional mags, you'll have half top and half bottom. That gives a symmetric reading when doing a mag test. With top and bottom now separate, there's an asymmetrical reading when doing the test as all bottom plugs firing differs from all top plugs firing.

Also, I had my engine shop mount the fuel injectors on top of the cylinders into the normal fuel injection port. So much happier with a fuel rail on top away from the exhaust.
You can actually setup the wiring to fire all top or all bottom plugs.

I just returned from a few weeks of flying at high DA's and elevations, alongside a very sharp buddy running EFI in his bird. His son did a lot of the flying while he tweaked the rotary mixture knob and kept a log of the +/- values for best result. After flying the system for many years, he is still defining optimum settings.
You are continuing to pile on off nominal scenarios in your responses. I doubt that when MikeWhiskySierra mentioned the benefit of the self adjusting mixture scheme of EFI he was thinking “flight test”. I believe he was coming from the context of “nominal” for both EFI vs. mechanical. And in that context, I agree with him - from a CRM standpoint, the control that is not needed is much safer than the control that’s touched every flight. Is the traditional mixture control dangerous? No. Is it hard to understand? No. Is there a statistically significant (in context) number of aircraft accidents attributed to mishandling of the mixture control? Yes. Therefore, a “practical error” demonstrably exists in the traditional fleet that does not in the EFI fleet. That is the sole point. It was your choice to parse out this singular element of EFI on your attempted rebuttal of MikeWhisky Sierra and I am responding in kind to that very narrow focus.

The above said, I know you are well versed on EFI and lean towards an advocate of the scheme - you are no Luddite. I also happen to agree with the majority of your posts on this subject. It’s important to separate the marketing fluff from the facts, so I commend you for the objectivity- I try to do the same in my posts on the subject.

Is there a statistically significant (in context) number of aircraft accidents attributed to mishandling of the mixture control? Yes. Therefore, a “practical error” demonstrably exists in the traditional fleet that does not in the EFI fleet.
I'd like to know where you get that 'statistic' from?
The entire piston engine fleet has a red knob mixture control, compared to how many EFI systems out there?
Saying the standard mixture control contributes to more incidents than EFI is ludicrous.

Saying the standard mixture control contributes to more incidents than EFI is ludicrous.
Never said that. Please re read as many times as required until you comprehend, because I'm done with this aspect of the discussion.

Has the System 32 EFII Injectors been upgraded ?

The original EFII System used injectors supported in a thin alloy tube that some times cracked. This along with the weight of all the AN6 hoses and hardware is a lot of mass to hang off those injectors. I know the instructions call for adel clamps etc but you still have to have a heavy hose going back the firewall on both sides for the supply and return all hanging off the last injector in a very harsh vibrating environment ,

There is an RV-7 here in Australia that completely removed the EFII System and installed a SDS EM-5 System because of the better / stronger / simpler SDS Injector installation.

Has the System 32 EFII injector system been updated to a more robust injector mount?
This is the current EFII injectors I have seen here in Australia.
( Not a fan of the crimped hose clamp holding the assembly together )
IMG_0617.jpeg

IMG_0616.jpeg

The SDS Injectors are way more robust and have smaller #3 hoses with a central Fuel Distribution Block. Way less mass at the injector body.

IMG_0618.jpeg

Actually, SDS does have that now with EM-6 - but requires an oxygen sensor.
....and unleaded fuel.

There is a big difference between capable and practical. I am capable of dunking a basketball if you sneak up behind me with a cattle prod, but it's not going to be practical for four quarters...

....and unleaded fuel.

There is a big difference between capable and practical. I am capable of dunking a basketball if you sneak up behind me with a cattle prod, but it's not going to be practical for four quarters...
I have the AEM 30-0300 controller with the replacement probes currently costing about $109. Even with lead, the probe, if properly installed and setup, should run in a 100LL environment for 100--200 hours. I consider that an operational cost for the benefit of AFR control and plan to replace at annual; your budget and mileage may vary... However, at ~$400 to fill up these days, even if I can't get more than 1% efficiency improvement using closed loop fuel management (which is meager at best), the cost of the probe is covered.

There are two different fuel pumps available for the system. The stock pump is 155 lph and suitable for engines less than 300 hp. My system came with the stock pumps but I am not running a stock IO-540. My engine makes just shy of 300 hp, verified on the dyno. Working with several other RV-10 guys running the stock pumps and higher HP engines, we found that at high power settings, the was not enough pump volume to maintain a constant pressure in the system. It worked fine and never had any issues but looking at the savvy data, a decrease in pressure was noted. We (several of us) decided to go to the other available pump, which is 255 lph. The pumps are nearly identical in size and it was easy to retrofit. All pressure indications are now exactly what they are supposed to be. I note this because if you are building a higher HP RV-10, you might want to install the 255 lph pumps from the start. If you are running a stock 540, you will likely not see any pressure loss.
My system (SDS) uses the Walbro GSL393 is also rated at 155 L/h, or about 35 GPH at 45 psi at 12V, although normal operation for me would be about 14V at 50 PSI, which would provide 40 GPH. Walbro rates the pump capable of supporting 405 hp, which aligns with the pump's specified fuel flow. While I'm perfectly fine with you oversizing your fuel pump, I'm curious why you think your pump won't handle more than 300 hp?

My system (SDS) uses the Walbro GSL393 is also rated at 155 L/h, or about 35 GPH at 45 psi at 12V, although normal operation for me would be about 14V at 50 PSI, which would provide 40 GPH. Walbro rates the pump capable of supporting 405 hp, which aligns with the pump's specified fuel flow. While I'm perfectly fine with you oversizing your fuel pump, I'm curious why you think your pump won't handle more than 300 hp?
Walbro's rating at 405 hp the pump would need to operate at ~41 GPH and even at 50 psi and 13.5 volts shows ~ 41 GPH. So, under ideal conditions doable. The issue is we don't operate under ideal barometric and temperature conditions. (Unlike most automotive applications) The pump for our application does not have a flooded suction and there is a decent pressure drop through the lines, elbows, fuel selector valve and 40-micron FILTER, pre-pump. Then tack on 10-micron filters post (Yes, I know some use 40 micron) along with associated pressure drops and one MIGHT not get the required 30 GPM on takeoff. (30 GPH for a 300 hp engine) Add to that operations at elevations and possible vapor pressure issues and who knows what actual flow rates might be. That is why there is a concern using a GSL 393, in my humble opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-28 203109.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-28 203109.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1
I have the AEM 30-0300 controller with the replacement probes currently costing about $109. Even with lead, the probe, if properly installed and setup, should run in a 100LL environment for 100--200 hours. I consider that an operational cost for the benefit of AFR control and plan to replace at annual; your budget and mileage may vary... However, at ~$400 to fill up these days, even if I can't get more than 1% efficiency improvement using closed loop fuel management (which is meager at best), the cost of the probe is covered.

Several guys running the same system noted a discrepancy while studying the savvy reports for many, many flights. We were looking for indications relevant to a different issue, at the time. The discrepancy concerned the ability of the pump to maintain a relatively constant pressure at high power settings. We have a substantial amount of logged data, from several different aircraft running very similar engines. The data shows that at high power settings, the rail pressure dropped to between 22-25 psi even though the regulator was set to maintain 35. Long story short, I spoke with an engineer at Aeromotive (regulator), and he indicated that the symptom was consistent with an insufficient volume to maintain the regulator set pressure at those power settings. He recommended the 255L pumps as a fix. As those pumps are basically the same size as the 155L version, two of us switched to the 255L pumps and the loss of pressure at those power settings went away...completely and immediately after the pump change.

All of that said, the engines ran fine, without issue on the 155L pump. It wasn't until we were looking at the data, that we found the loss of pressure, and we weren't specifically looking for it. Had we NOT been studying the actual data, we likely would never had known. There are more details to the story but they aren't really relevant to the discussion. I just summarized what we saw, and how it was resolved.

I hear you Ron, and I can't knock it. Yep, treating O2 sensors as disposables makes closed loop available on an SDS. Nothing like EFI application as the average person might expect based on automotive experience, but I'm all in on pushing ahead. And to be realistic, I just paid $98 for a check valve.

"...I have the AEM 30-0300 controller with the replacement probes currently costing about $109. Even with lead, the probe, if properly installed and setup, should run in a 100LL environment for 100--200 hours..."

Can you detail "properly installed and setup" for the O2 sensor?

Just curious because you are claiming 10 to 20 times the sensor life that a lot of guys are seeing in the field. According to your reference, they use the Bosch 4.9LSU sensor, which is what most seem to be using.

Can you detail "properly installed and setup" for the O2 sensor?
I tried the O2 sensor in my early setup and tuning and despite multiple sensors and controllers could never get anything even remotely close to consistent readings. My running hypothesis is that the multiple slip joints on the Rocket exhaust was simply letting too much outside O2 in and polluting the readings. Does your 10 have a ”tight“ gas path from cylinder to sensor?