This happened to a friend of mine

3 blade wood c/s prop...When it lost a blade he didn't have the presence of mind to pull it up close to a stall.

He said the airplane was vibrating so badly he couldn't see the instrument panel.

Crashed it in a field.

Acroduster, IO360

Frank 7a

I got to hear Dave Morss speak on this incident a few years ago. While it looks perfectly textbook, it was interesting to listen to him tell of the things which he wouldn't do again. I can't remember all of them, but one of the main things he mentioned was that he would probably not put the gear down again. The reason being that the gear is attached to the engine mount, and was hanging on by a thread. Looking back, it could have caused more problems lowering the nose gear and having the engine fall off.

He did a great job though as you can see. I'm glad people offer up stories on these types of incidents so we can all learn from them.

Chris

txaviator said:
This may have already been posted???? But, this is an excellent video of FLY the airplane during an emergency. The pilot is rolling video when his prop literally shreds into a jillion pieces.......and a perfect (obviously non-powered) landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0txEC0Rhdg

That's Dave Morss, flying the factory Lancair 4 at reno, Dont know if it was a composite or metal prop, but he also lost most of the front of the cowling and you can see the huge cracks in the canopy.

When he landed the engine was only held on with one remaining bolt. He didn't know if the front gear would support or not, but it did just barely.

It was amazing to see in person as well...

Last edited:
aadamson said:
That's Dave Morss, flying the factory Lancair 4 at reno, Dont know if it was a composite or metal prop, but he also lost most of the front of the cowling and you can see the huge cracks in the canopy.

When he landed the engine was only held on with one remaining bolt. He didn't know if the front gear would support or not, but it did just barely.

It was amazing to see in person as well...

Catto blades, someone else's hub. The Lancair people gave him a standing ovation for saving the airplane at thier annual meeting. Dave's a friend of mine, he has lots of stories to tell.