smokyray

Well Known Member
Anyone out there install and fly a Rotec TBI on a Lycoming (or otherwise?) Curious as to it's performance and whether it was an improvement over a carb or an Ellison TBI?

Thanks!

Smokey
HR2 Bendix F.I.
RV4.6 Ellison TBI

Rotec TBI?

Smokey - I'm amazed no one has chimed in on this subject. Quite a few builders were looking into them some time ago but the trail seems to have gone cold.
I believe RocketBob was the furthest along, running one on his -6 and planning to use one on his rocket.
I was hoping there would be more information available, particularly after OSK!
Although a LOOOONG way from finishing my -4 it's something that interests me too!

I haven't done anything with installing mine on the RV yet, too many other irons in the fire for the past few months. In a way I'm glad thats the case because there is a revision to the TBI's that require a new o-ring seal on the spray bar and I need to have that done.

Oh' no not another recall

In a way I'm glad that's the case because there is a revision to the TBI's that require a new o-ring seal on the spray bar and I need to have that done.

Like my ECI cylinders now my TBI's got a problem? :eek: I got one on sale last year after OSH for my 0-360. Thought I'd be at least testing by now but life got in the way again.
Hey RocketBob where do I find out about what to do to bring mine up to specs?

Revision was worth it.

While I'm not ready for 1st flight yet, I had the revision done and it has made it a more refined unit.
There was a slight friction in the slide before, but now it slides much nicer.

I've got a question for you guy's that are now flying with them. I'm only a couple of days away installing the TBI, and working out how to connect the throttle and mixture cables. The TBI slide only has about 1 1/2" travel. And as I'm using the std vernier type setup I would like to double the travel in the cockpit.
My question is, have any of you guys made this mod? And how did you go about it? I have a couple of ideas to do this, but if anyone has already done it, I would be interested to know how you went about it.

Bob'nRobyn (down under)

TBI

I also am interested, and am considering using one on a 320 with a Superior horizontal sump.
Anyone else done that yet, or will I be "the guy"....

Regards, Chris

interested too

Smokey - I'm amazed no one has chimed in on this subject. Quite a few builders were looking into them some time ago but the trail seems to have gone cold.
I believe RocketBob was the furthest along, running one on his -6 and planning to use one on his rocket.
I was hoping there would be more information available, particularly after OSK!
Although a LOOOONG way from finishing my -4 it's something that interests me too!

If have been watching for pireps on this TBI too.

CM RV4 0-320

A friend of mine is also thinking of fitting one to a forward induction system from Airflow Performance until such time as he can afford to put a full injection system on.

As the comment above, can anyone forsee any problems with this????

Is no one flying a Rotec TBI?

I was hoping to find one good, detailed PIREP of a Rotec TBI in a flying RV. The price is amost too good to resist - if someone would provide a PIREP I'd buy one immediately.

Kitplanes article

I was hoping to find one good, detailed PIREP of a Rotec TBI in a flying RV. The price is amost too good to resist - if someone would provide a PIREP I'd buy one immediately.

Don't know if it has a pirep value in it but I just got my Kitplanes mag and it has an article of the TBI in it. IIRC, I believe it to be on a RV. Haven't read it it yet just say it while flipping the pages before work.