Can someone tell me where I can find info on the fly off requirements for a ELSA RV-12?

Order 8130.2F chapter 4, Section 8, Subsection 143, C, 1 (see below)
Note that it says minimum of 5 hours. A DAR or inspector could require more but I would ask for an explanation why. Besides, your phase one testing is not complete until you have finished all of the tests required by the PAP (production acceptance procedure) which will probably take most people more like 10 hours to complete. I am curious about the reason for the question.

143. FLIGHT TEST AREAS.
a. General. Section 91.319(b) requires that an unproven aircraft be assigned to a flight test area.
The assigned test area is prescribed in accordance with § 91.305. The FAA, when requested, should
assist applicants in selecting areas that comply with § 91.305. The FAA is required to evaluate each
application to determine that the flight test area does not exceed what is reasonably required to
accomplish the program. Actions pertaining to flight test areas must be coordinated with the nearest
office of the Air Traffic Service.
b. Assigned Flight Test Area. Under §§ 91.305 and 91.319(b), all initial flight operations of
experimental aircraft must be limited to the assigned flight test area until the aircraft is shown to be
controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and all maneuvers to be executed, and has not
displayed any hazardous operating characteristics or design features.
(1) In the case of the first flight of an aircraft from an airport surrounded by a densely
populated area, but with at least one acceptable approach/departure route of flight, the FAA must ensure
that a route of flight is selected that subjects the fewest persons and least property to possible hazards.
In addition, upon leaving such an airport, the aircraft should be required to operate from an outlying
airport until its controllability and safety are established, after which the aircraft may return to its base
and use the established corridor for subsequent operations. The description of the area selected by the
applicant and agreed to by the FAA must be made a part of the operating limitations.
8130.2F CHG 2 7/10/2006
Page 142
(2) In the case of an aircraft located at any airport surrounded by a densely populated area
and lacking any acceptable approach/departure route of flight, the FAA must deny the airworthiness
certificate and process the denial in accordance with paragraph 88 of this order. The applicant must be
advised to relocate the aircraft by other means to a suitable airport.
NOTE: An acceptable approach/departure route of flight may be considered
to exist when the route of flight provides a reasonable opportunity to execute
an off-airport emergency landing that will not jeopardize other persons or
property.
c. Assignment to the Flight Test Area. Although the period of assignment is not established by
regulation, the following time is suggested as a guideline when issuing airworthiness certificates for
experimental LSA:
*(1) LSA issued original experimental airworthiness certificates must be limited to operation
within an assigned flight test area for a minimum of 5 hours for all classes of LSA to determine aircraft
controllability throughout its design limits.

Last edited:
PAP

I guess I should of ask what is involved in the PAP. In that 5 to 10 hours of flying before the airplane fully legal. The flight test area is not a problem I live just a few miles from the Colorado City airport and the Arizona Strip. Maybe the most wide open land in the U.S.