YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
So while patting myself on my back for my excellent fluting technique, I realized I fluted some of the flanges backwards, ie with the metal bent outwards. Lesson learned. I carefully fluted them back the other way, but want to make sure the bending back won't be an issue where strength is concerned. I'm sure I'm not the first to have done this, but want to do things right!

Chris

Build on. You'll be fine.

Just don't dimple or machine countersink the wrong side of anything and you'll be OK. In fact, it is good to write on each skin "This side up for Dimpling" or "This side up for machine countersinking".

Did this myself. I turned the pliers around and "un-fluted" the ribs. Worked great, but you could carefully pound any remaining waviness out with a mallet over a piece of wood.

Then you are back to a rib that needs to be fluted...

General rule of thumb is that you can reverse a mistake once with light gage 2024 T3, like a flute or a dimple. A countersink is really hard to reverse however.

I wrapped a bright-colored piece of electrical tape around the 'up' or top handle of the fluting pliers. It really helps for fast orientation of the fluting pliers, and costs nothing to do! Works great.

So while patting myself on my back for my excellent fluting technique, I realized I fluted some of the flanges backwards, ie with the metal bent outwards. Lesson learned. I carefully fluted them back the other way, but want to make sure the bending back won't be an issue where strength is concerned. I'm sure I'm not the first to have done this, but want to do things right!

Chris

Welcome to Reverse Side Fluting Club Chris. :) Majority of us have been there. It usually happens while building empennage. My HS has couple ribs with rebent flutes. Move on.

I did this too. I simply 'unfluted' and refluted in the correct direction further along the rib. The tape on the fluting pliers is a good idea.

Thanks all! Put the tape on my pliers to avoid future screw ups. And slowly convincing myself not to worry about every tiny little thing ;) Fitted the HS today and all the ribs line up perfectly!

chris