jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
Re RV9a Fuse...Aft Bulkheads F-706, 707, 708,& 709. (I assume most kits are the same but maybe different part No's) Some are pretty flimsy and a quick attempt at fluting has me wondering if I will do more harm than good. What has been your experience? I'd rather err on the not fluting/little fluting than have to undue fluting.

Vans had preliminary fluting in most all of the tail and wing ribs and none here.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

little at a time

Jim

I just did a little fluting and then used a straight edge to see if it was enough. You soon get a feel for it. For a straight edge I used a 1m carpenters level.

Peter

spastic animal

yeah, I didn't have any problem with fluting the wing ribs but these aft bulkhead pieces are spastic-every which way and a different kind of animal.

Jim

They can be interesting, yes. I fluted the bottoms and once the bottom skin and side skins were on and the structure stiffened up a bit, then fluted the tops against a straight edge.

Not 90 degree

Keep in mind while you're fluting these bulkheads that they need to follow the taper of the fuselage, they are not 90 degrees. Light fluting is all that's needed.