miyu1975

Well Known Member
So my last task tonight was to flush the fuel lines. I am hoping to make the first engine start on Monday. I put 4 gallons 100LL in each tank, disconnected the fuel hose that in connects into the Bendix FI coming of the mechanical fuel pump. Then master on, boost on....expecting fuel to flow nicely into the bucket I set up..but nothing. I tried several times and the let the pump go for about 10 seconds. Never did get anything. I am using the EFII pump. Do I need to prime it somehow since this is its first use? and how if so..??

Just an idea (assuming you don't have a blockage of course).

Park your car close by and pull off one of the many little hoses that goes to the inlet manifold..I.e has major SUCK at idle.

Take a long pice of clear hose an connect car inlet manifold to hose from electric fuel pump.

Start car at idel..run pump..if that don't pull fuel through nothing will..:)

Frank

Just did our flow test for the engine start. We made a short verticle vent tube for the ground run and all we did is blow in it and within 2-3 seconds fuel was flowing full speed.

I had the same problem years ago prior to my first engine start and did exactly what Wade said. I blew into the vent tube for 2-3 sec.while the pump was running and fuel started flowing. Just to make sure the pump didn't lose prime, I ran on the dry tank for 20s and let it sit for a month. I then switched to the tank with fuel and the pump began to pull fuel immediately.

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

I presume you have the fuel selector value on and mixture open, and you can hear the boost pump running. I started off with 4 gal in each tank and, once I remembered to open the fuel value, had no problems.

I have to ask... did you remember to select a tank with the fuel selector valve? As opposed to the OFF position. Having been through this a couple of weeks ago :eek:

Ok, so I am hearing I need to blow into the vent tube while the pump is running. I am assuming I should blow into the vent tube where it exits the bottom of the fuselage?

Yes, I can hear the pump running while it's on. and yes, I did have the fuel selector on left and right tanks while have the mixture in.

Surprised it does not self prime...

I have an Andair pump that has no problem self priming... surprised that your EFII pump will not.

Ok, so I am hearing I need to blow into the vent tube while the pump is running. I am assuming I should blow into the vent tube where it exits the bottom of the fuselage?
QUOTE]

You could do that, but if you have the wing gap fairings off it would be easier to make a 8-12 inch tall vent tube to temp hook up and blow in.

I had this exact same problem a couple of weeks ago... spoke with the guys from EFII and they told me to disconnect the hose/tube from the fuel valve going into the pump and pour small amount of fuel into the pump. I poured 4-5 vials of fuel from my fuel test tube... hooked it back up and it worked just fine.... FYI I had no problem when I switched to the second tank.

Hope this helps,
Jason

All fixed. I used a syringe to inject some fuel into the pump and I blew into the vent line with pump on. Fuel was flowing in seconds. Thanks all. One step closer.

For future reference...

you can press gascolator drain while pump running to bleed off air in lines:)
That's how I finally got mine primed.

you can press gascolator drain while pump running to bleed off air in lines:)
That's how I finally got mine primed.

Some do, but most do not use a gascolator with fuel injection. Not recommended by Van's (more fuel stuff under the cowling to heat soak).