speyers

Well Known Member
I built two RV kits using my standard flush rivet set that I got back in A&P school 10 years ago. It was fine for small jobs and did a good job. It was one of those sets that comes form US Industrial tools.
http://www.ustool.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1481
Well I noticed that on large skins there would be a slight deformation of the skin after setting the rivet. I noticed this on the horizontal stablizer and wing skins. I know my technique is good, but I was always left with a slight dimple or depression after riveting. Looking around at Oshkosh I saw some RV's that had excellent sheetmetal work with no skin deformation. After talking with another builder, he suggested a larger and flatter flush rivet set. After picking one up from Avery Tools and trying it out, I am happy to report that is does an excellent job and does not deform the skin at all! The only place it does not work is on curved pieces like the wing leading edge where the radius is the tightest. The large flat set seems to have a hard time with these. Anyways, hope this helps. Your mileage may vary.

33ykye9.jpg

73lcu8.jpg

hsw1tl.jpg

Under dimpling?

I had this problem of deformation around
a flush rivet. I thought it was a problem with my riveting skills and
later discovered that using
more force dimpling and a quality spring back dimple die
created no deformation and nice flat skins around
the rivet. Made a big difference.