647jc

Well Known Member
I have been playing with a Kindle Fire and FltPlan. I can't seem to locate or figure out how to get a sectional chart displayed. I also have an iPad and the app on it has a 'Maps & Routes' button on the home page which lets you view and zoom in on sectional maps but I can't seem to find similar functionality on the Fire. My Fire does have current Android OS and FltPlan version is also current.

Has anyone else been able to view sectionals on the Kindle Fire, via FltPlan or any other method (preferably a free method)?

After some experimentation I figured out a way to display sectionals on the Kindle Fire. I?m sure others have already figured this out but for those who are interested; I first download the sectionals from the FAA site to my PC. I then unzip each sectional file on my PC and then copied the TIF image files to the Fire file system via a USB connection. I then use an app on the Fire called FIV (Fast Image Viewer). It will open the TIF files and let you zoom all the way down to a nice readable size. You can zoom using the regular two finger pinch method and scroll with a single finger. Anyway, I was hoping to use FltPlan to display the sectionals as I can on my iPad but that feature does not appear to be present on the Kindle Fire version of FltPlan. The Fire appears to have plenty of storage for sectionals and storage for a lot of apps. It doesn?t have Bluetooth so will probably never have a GPS moving map display but for sectional maps and basic flight planning it?s not too bad for $199.