Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
I tried to order a filter for my RV3 today and they said they can't sell a filter for an airplane ! Not surprising, but how do you get a filter from these folks when you want to just pay with credit card? There forms only ask for a purchase order, and the guy on the phone acts as "the guard at the gate".:eek:

Note to self: when asked if purchasing an item what its for, always say its for your tractor. :)

I remember when I was using Sika adhesive to bond my canopy. I had some questions about the application, so I called them and spoke with a very helpful applications engineer.

I described my problem and forgot to use the 'tractor' and foolishly said canopy.

The engineer said, "I'm sorry this product is not for airplanes and I can't help you with that application. It is however used for high speed trains, are you sure you aren't building a train?"

I replied with, "Oops - I must have misspoke. I have a question on how to apply this to my bullet train." He was then quite helpful...

:D

Last edited:
You should be able to order online without talking to anybody (unless you are trying to special order something). Put "1234" in for the PO number. I haven't ordered from them in a while, but don't recall any problems....:confused:

Good to hear. Now, remember to tell the person at NAPA that the alternator you need is for your Suzuki Samurai. :D

What's so special about their filter(s) that makes them better than stuff from Summit, etc? Which model are you using?

Be sure to specify that you want Viton O-rings on your filter. I believe that Nitrile O-rings are standard issue. Nitrile works great with 100LL, it shrinks in the presence of auto fuel. They have that as an option. Just an FYI
Charlie

What's so special about their filter(s) that makes them better than stuff from Summit, etc? Which model are you using?

Russell and Earl's (among others) both make filters similar to the Flow-Ezy 3000 series, in comparable mesh sizes and flow rating. They are a lot cheaper- like, 1/3 the price. Drilling down on Summit's site, they are supposedly rated for alcohol (thus likely Viton o-rings) but I wouldn't trust that as far as I can throw my credit card. Ok, poor analogy. I would call the manufacturer to get a confirmation on o-ring material, or plan on buying known Viton o-rings before installing. You can save a lot of money that way, probably because you'll be getting filters made in a country whose name starts with C. Not that that's a bad thing, but the Flow Ezy filters are made here.

Above is mentioned because I'm doing a major make-over of a fuel system on a long-time automotive project (thus I can say honestly that I'm getting a filter for motorsports use, though I may need a "spare" just in case) and after seeing a vast difference in pricing on various components including fittings, I started researching country of origin.

Last edited: