Paul Austin

Hi There for all of you that have mounted there floscan sender in the cockpit just forward of the boost pump in a 7 how many are happy with this instalation and getting correct readings and how many are not???? Just trying to decide where to place mine as this seems like a good spot if it does work correctly.

It is my understanding that most people that mount the transducer between the boost pump and the mechanical pump get false high or pulsing readings when the boost pump is on.

Most state that if you put it after the mechanical pump, it works perfectly.

Mine has been in the cockpit between selector valve and the boost pump for almost 17 years and I'm very happy with it. It does indeed give false readings while the boost pump is on, but that is a very small portion of the time. When the boost pump is on during take-off and landing, I'm not concerned with fuel flow.

While talking about flow transducer placement, it's my understanding from a post by AFS tech that the AFS "red cube" is not restricted to horizontal installation or the 1" straight connection on either side. If true, this would make placement of the transducer 'after' the mechanical pump a much simpler task and possibly narrow the margin of error for those times when you inadvertently leave the boost pump running for an extended period after takeoff. BTW, I never get distracted and forget to turn the pump off.

Mines on the cockpit floor. Yes as others have said it over reads with the electric pump on, but overall it's normally within a litre or two(1/2 gallon) when I refill, which is much more accurate then the fuel gauges.

Peter

If you're equipped with fuel injection, optimal is between the servo and the spider. Not sure on the carb'd engines though. With a Silver Hawk system, I managed to mount a floscan between the servo and spider, with appropriate straight lines in and out, and I have it dialed in to .5 gallons over 42 gallons, so it seems to be very accurate. I could tweak the GRT EIS and come up right on the money, but as it is, it shows slightly less in the tank that there really is.

BTW, I never get distracted and forget to turn the pump off.

My fuel pump switch is a red lighted switch as well as an amber annunciator light. I just had a real problem with turning off the fuel pump in Piper Cherokee's.. :D

Other than that, in my 6A, the fuel sender is between the aux pump & firewall against the left cockpit wall. It's very close in gauging fuel, and I never adjusted it. Does show a bit higher with aux pump running, as others have mentioned. But...............I never seem to leave the pump on anymore...

L.Adamson --- RV6A