rls14

I can't find a picture or information on the floscan installation for the EIS 4000 for the 8. How do you get the 5 inches of straight tubing between the high pressure fuel pump and the transducer, than 2 inches of straight run after the sender. I'm installing the high pressure pump as per Van's plans just forward of the left gear weldment on the floor. There is probably a very simple explanation and I'm looking thru it. Also I would like to keep the sender on the inside of the firewall. Thanks Ron

No perfect installation, but good nuff

rls14 said:
I can't find a picture or information on the floscan installation for the EIS 4000 for the 8. How do you get the 5 inches of straight tubing between the high pressure fuel pump and the transducer, than 2 inches of straight run after the sender. I'm installing the high pressure pump as per Van's plans just forward of the left gear weldment on the floor. There is probably a very simple explanation and I'm looking thru it. Also I would like to keep the sender on the inside of the firewall. Thanks Ron
Ron, there seems to be as many builders as installations for the flowscan, check the archives and do some searches. I have a RV-7 and mine is on the floor between the fuel selector and pump. some people up theirs on the engine side of the firewall just past the gascolator. Even violating the 5" straight tube rule, many claim good results. One "trick" is to use one of those in line billet aluminum race car filters. The filter acts as a reservoir to keep the flow even. This is especially important near the boost pump.

The biggest effect is the pump. On some installations pilots report the electric boost pump gives a error on the high side, but ONLY when the pump is on, so most accept that since the boost is on very little and accept it. Pump off the fuel flow is dead on. The end result you want it accurate overall. Even with the 5" + 2" straight runs the driver seems to be the pump.

I think past the gascolator is good, in that it isolates it from the electric boost pump on the other side, but this means mounting it on the hot firewall side. The other location is before the electric boost pump. I have seen some with tube bends right before or after and the builder says it works fine. It is one of those things that is hard to nail down with the definitive setup. I know the RV-6/7 is that way at least; may be the -8 is better?

Good Luck with you search, Cheers George

Last edited: