Brambo

Well Known Member
For those of you that have mounted your FloScan transducer FWF, where did you find firesleeve wide enough to cover it?
I guess you could just wrap some firesleeve around it, but I thought if there was someplace to get wide enough firesleeve I'd like to go that route. I can't find anyone that sells it that wide though (I figure you need 1 3/4"-2" ID).

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

There are not really people mounting Floscan 201B's anywhere other than FWF are there?

The install instructions from every flow system I have seen in recent memory has been to mount it after the mechanical fuel pump. Mounting between the pumps has degraded the value of the Used and Remaining values to a greater degree than I would hope for. The transducers will have a different output when fuel is pulled through it, as apposed to pushed.

Regarding fire sleeve, how close do you plan on mounting the transducer to the exhaust? if it's more than 6" you do not need fire sleeve usually.

Good luck!

Matt

My flo-scan has been mounted "upstream" of both pumps for 15 years. Flow accuracy is great, as is totalizer numbers.
It is mounted in the cockpit between the selector valve and the boost pump. When I fill up my tanks, the fuel taken on is always within 1 gallon of what the totalizer says.
Over the course of my inspections, I've seen them mounted almost everywhere you can imagine, and they all seem to do a good job once calibrated.

RE: FI with flow transducer

Mel I have ECi new fuel injection with metered fuel flowing from the engine mounted pump and unused fuel flowing back to the tanks from this pump. Most folks in the know said that i would need to put the fuel flo transducer down stream from the engine pump on the metered fuel line. Your wisdom on this matter would greatly be appreciated as I have moved it from the cockpit location down stream of the boost/prime/aux pump and was just about to cut my newly made aerquip metered fuel hoses to accomadte the new FWF location.

Also, Mel I have really appreciated your advice and help here on the forum.

Frank @ SGU RV7A......last 100000000000000 details
My flo-scan has been mounted "upstream" of both pumps for 15 years. Flow accuracy is great, as is totalizer numbers.
It is mounted in the cockpit between the selector valve and the boost pump. When I fill up my tanks, the fuel taken on is always within 1 gallon of what the totalizer says.
Over the course of my inspections, I've seen them mounted almost everywhere you can imagine, and they all seem to do a good job once calibrated.

FI is a special case.

If you are indeed returning fuel to the tank at the mechanical pump, then you do need the transducer downstream from that. Otherwise you will have to install 2 transducers with the return one subtracting from the feeding one. I know I'm not talking too plainly here, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
On the other hand with a carburetor and no return line, it is basically a series system. Whatever flows through one line flows through all of them.

For those of you that have mounted your FloScan transducer FWF, where did you find firesleeve wide enough to cover it?
I guess you could just wrap some firesleeve around it, but I thought if there was someplace to get wide enough firesleeve I'd like to go that route. I can't find anyone that sells it that wide though (I figure you need 1 3/4"-2" ID).

Bill Rambo
RV-7A
I used a short length of the biggest diameter firesleeve I could get . I think it was Aeroquip AE102--22 from ACS. Cut it length-wise, wrap it around the transducer and secure with a couple of cable ties.

Fin
9A

I used a short length of the biggest diameter firesleeve I could get . I think it was Aeroquip AE102--22 from ACS. Cut it length-wise, wrap it around the transducer and secure with a couple of cable ties.

Fin
9A
Are the cable ties fire proof?

Are the cable ties fire proof?

Good point Mel, thanks for the comment. I had been thinking more along the lines of keeping heat away from the transducer to reduce vapor lock type problems so I thought high temp cable ties would be good enough. But after your comment I now realize that I should secure the fire sleeve with clamps or safety wire to make the transducer installation more fire proof.

Fin
9A

Personally I would want them to be rated at least equivalent to the firesleeve.

Floscan firesleeve

I mounted Floscan FWF on IO360. I used a short length of the biggest diameter firesleeve that I could find from Aircraft Spruce. Cut it length-wise, wrap it around the transducer and secure with safety wire, two pieces one on each side of Floscan. Has held up find for first 250 hours.