BlackRV7

Well Known Member
We are going to make a week of SNF and would like some input into the keys in the area of Tampa. We are going to check out Cedar Key, just because of the airport, but would also like to drive to some other offshore "islands" in the area for different places to stay each night prior to arriving at SNF on Weds., Thursday. Any info would be appreciated.

Dana Overall
Richmond, KY i39
RV-7 slider, Imron black, "Black Magic"
O 360 A1A, C/S C2YK-1BF/F7666A4
http://rvflying.tripod.com/id30.html
do not archive

look into Longboat Key south of Tampa-St Pete, closer to Sarasota.

For a built up area, it is nice and quiet, and beautiful.

Jest returned from a great day fishing at Cedar Key

Cedar Key is about 45 minutes north of Tampa in a RV. 2350' paved lighted 5/23 runway, no fuel. Caught about 50 trout with Guide Danny Allen today. "Weather is great wish you were here" type of day. Well worth a look.

gulf Coast

Dana,

Anywhere from north of Tampa to Sarasota has great barrior islands. Any further north and you get into mangrove swamps. They are all within 1-3 hours from SNF. I recommend that you go online and get a place to stay in Clearwater or St. Petersburg. (St Pete beach, Treasure Island, Madera beach, Reddington beach, Clearwater beach) All great beaches and easy interstate access to SNF. Sarasota and Bradenton is a good 2 hours from Lakeland but has beautiful beaches. The traffic in Sarasota can be a real bear especially on US 41 around rush hours. All Tampa has for water is the bay on the west side...but is closer to SNF. If you fly in to St Petersburg you have the option to tie down at Clearwater exec...closer to clearwater beach or Albert Whitted located in downtown St. Petersburg on the west side of Tampa bay. It is closer to St Pete beach,the Skyway bridge and points south.

Hope this helps

Jim Kinsey
7A Wings

Jkkinz said:
Dana,

Anywhere from north of Tampa to Sarasota has great barrior islands. Any further north and you get into mangrove swamps.

Jim Kinsey
7A Wings

Jim:

There are mangrove swamps into the upper keys, south of Homested and many areas north of Tampa through the panhandle have some of the best beaches in the southeast.

Robby,

I wasn't talking about the panhandle, just the area north of Tampa to above Cross city. I fly that route about once a month and it is best if you are a fisherman.
I lived in Ft Walton Beach while stationed at Eglin and love the panhandle beaches...which by the way have great sand dunes!

Jim Kinsey
7A wings 3/4 done

Nature Coast

Nature Coast is one of the (Hommossa to Keaton Beach) is probably the last frontier of Florida. It is a area that hasn't been ravaged by developers from Newport Richey south is nothing but Condos and pavement. The most beautiful beaches in florida are along the Panhandle, some still have sand dunes. Cedar Key is a great place to fly-in, super fresh seaford. Crystal River is also a good place to fly-in. North West Florida offers a great flying enviorment. My home, Steinhatchee, which is forty miles north of Cedar Key also offers some excellant fishing and food at a more reasonable price than Cedar Key. I would say drop by at Ancient Oaks Airpark, 39FD. But I will be leaving for SNF on Sunday till Friday this will be my 32nd year there. Take it from a ole timer North Florida is great. That why all the Airparks here are filled with people from South and Central Florida. I am one of them. By the way Magroves only grow as for as Weeki-Wachee they can not tolerate cold weather.
J-3 Cub, NC88583
RV-9, N92GC