Steve

Well Known Member
I moved to Florida about 6 months ago due to a change of employers. I recently brought my RV-9A here, too. I thought I'd post a few comparison notes about the two locales.

In Florida, AGL = MSL. The published altitude at Vero Beach, FL is 24 feet, practically zero. The altitude at Ogden, UT is 4470.

I still lean for taxi then go full rich for takeoff but that's the last time I touch the mixture control until shutdown as most local flying is at 1000 a/msl.

Other than the occasional cell tower, there's nothing to avoid while flying, like mountains. Also nothing of interest to see, like mountains, salt flats, canyons, etc.

Due to the dense air, it's hard to keep her from rolling when I do the 1800 rpm engine runup/mag check. I also learned Van's takeoff and landing distance numbers apply at sea level airports.

It's cool to see the airspeed indicator at the top of the green arc nudging into the yellow at cruise power. You just don't see those numbers out west unless you're in a dive. In winter. With wide open throttle. I know it's meaningless because my cruise groundspeed is still in the 155 kt range, but it's still cool to see.

There's seemingly an airport every 10 miles. And most have a cafe or restaurant. That won't be good for the 'ol waistline.

Like out west in the summer, fly in the morning, then watch the afternoon thunderstorms from your favorite ground-based chair.

I learned to fly in the mountain west so the concept of density altitude and the principles of mountain flying were just part and parcel of flight training. I could definitely see where an unprepared flatlander pilot could get in a tight spot on a trip to Denver or Salt Lake.

I need a passport, 12" N-numbers, a few US and Bahamian customs forms, US currency in various denominations, and a USCG approved life vest for all aboard before I fly the 55 nm east to the Bahamas. I'll probably get to Key West beforehand.

Learning to accept the high humidity,

steve, welcome to florida. will catch up to you in......

october when i return from the north east.
we have a regular wednesday to sebring at 8am if you can get away for bfast.
will get you up to speed on the winter flyin's too.
by the way, you can lean above 4,000 DA during the climb and even leveled off at 1,000. try it, it will take a bit before you feel the rpms dropping. save $ too.

Pacific NW

My home airport is 141' msl and the puget sound is two minutes away after takeoff. Everything around here is low so i know how you feel. This summer's trip included a stop in Logan and Provo, UT. A stop in Leadville(9927msl!!!) with density altitude at 12,500!!! and all the way to Oshkosh. The return journey took us back through the Rockies in Montana, overflying Mulan Pass. The ground was way too close for our altitude;). Having an RV-7 with 180hp and a c/s hartzell makes things a lot easier!!!

Florida visibility - marginal; Utah visibility - CAVU

When I flew from Ft Pierce FL to Crystal River FL, I was at 10,500'.

Florida has the swamps, but have they ever heard of "swamp coolers", that are so common in the dry climate of the west...

I'll post a mountain pic, perhaps Lake Powell or Bryce Canyon, once and awhile. :)

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Here are a few to help you

Monument Valley

MittensSmall.jpg

Grand Canyon

RonGrandCanyonSmall.jpg

Here I am landing at Death Valley

54RLDV.jpg

Last edited:
I moved to Florida about 6 months ago due to a change of employers. I recently brought my RV-9A here, too. I thought I'd post a few comparison notes about the two locales.

In Florida, AGL = MSL. The published altitude at Vero Beach, FL is 24 feet, practically zero. The altitude at Ogden, UT is 4470.

I still lean for taxi then go full rich for takeoff but that's the last time I touch the mixture control until shutdown as most local flying is at 1000 a/msl.

Other than the occasional cell tower, there's nothing to avoid while flying, like mountains. Also nothing of interest to see, like mountains, salt flats, canyons, etc.

Due to the dense air, it's hard to keep her from rolling when I do the 1800 rpm engine runup/mag check. I also learned Van's takeoff and landing distance numbers apply at sea level airports.

It's cool to see the airspeed indicator at the top of the green arc nudging into the yellow at cruise power. You just don't see those numbers out west unless you're in a dive. In winter. With wide open throttle. I know it's meaningless because my cruise groundspeed is still in the 155 kt range, but it's still cool to see.

There's seemingly an airport every 10 miles. And most have a cafe or restaurant. That won't be good for the 'ol waistline.

Like out west in the summer, fly in the morning, then watch the afternoon thunderstorms from your favorite ground-based chair.

I learned to fly in the mountain west so the concept of density altitude and the principles of mountain flying were just part and parcel of flight training. I could definitely see where an unprepared flatlander pilot could get in a tight spot on a trip to Denver or Salt Lake.

I need a passport, 12" N-numbers, a few US and Bahamian customs forms, US currency in various denominations, and a USCG approved life vest for all aboard before I fly the 55 nm east to the Bahamas. I'll probably get to Key West beforehand.

It sounds like you have learned a lot so far, but I think you still have more to learn about leaning at flat land altitudes.

If you are running around (even at 1000 MSL) with the mixture full rich you are burning a lot of extra fuel. Even at those low altitudes, as long as you are using MP and RPM settings that are giving you 75% power or less, you can safely use the same leaning techniques that you would at 8000 ft.

I was flying my O-360/ Sensenich fixed pitch 6A tonight at 2000 MSL, 22" MP with the RPM at about 2475 leaned to peak, burning about 8.2 GPH. If I left my mixture full rich the fuel burn at this power setting would be well over 10 GPH.

Thanks for the Utah pics, guys. I'll be back in a few. I'm keeping my home in Roy and my daughter still attends USU, so I'm not severing ties. Just doing an unaccompanied tour.

On the topic of leaning ... my 3 local flights so far have all been short hops at 1000 msl. The EGT indicates 1275 with the CHT at 310. I'll fiddle with the mix next flight.

I'll get with you in October, Ed. Breakfast flights sound like a good reasons to burn up some PTO.