roadrunner20

Well Known Member
Can anyone recommend a good & reasonable priced DAR to do my 7A?
I'd prefer an ABDAR who just charge for their expenses.
The eaa directory is way out of date (11/04). The 4 people I've called on the list have retired or would not call back.

I'm still trying to get the FAA to do the AW but they've said they were "overworked and under staffed". I did remind them it's their job.

I'll be at SnF Thursday, so maybe they will be a bit more receptive in that environment.

Why DARs cost so much

Dan:

Many of us want to help EAA and provide FREE DAR activities but cannot put the time in for free. I have a full time job. I can work with pay almost every weekend for my employer. Doing a DAR inspection may only take 1.5 to 2 hours for the inspection at the airplane but there is about 3 to 4 hours of time spent on paperwork, phone, and meetings before the inspection. There is travel time involved getting to and from the aircraft for the inspection. After getting back, I then spend another 3 hours closing out paperwork. If I cannot charge $65 per hour for DAR inspections (In Southern California) including time spent on paperwork, I should just go to work and get paid. My employer bills $125/hr for my time and provides me with health insurance and a retirement plan. I do not intend to charge what they do. Do not forget that the IRS also takes a large chunk out of the money you pay the DAR so he is lucky to end up with maybe half after state, federal, and social security.

EAA provided $750 grant for training to volunteer for 2 years. The training class cost me $1,400 with transportation and lodging. I have done 30 inspections in 2 years. Would you like to GIVE UP 15 days per year with out compensation? I average 8 hours of my time for each inspection. I have heard from 4 other AB DARs they report similar time requirements. (They tell me 8 to 10 hours of time spent per inspection including 2 or 3 hours at the airplane.) Yes $520 appears to be a lot of money for a 1.5 - 2 hour inspection. What you do not see is prep time and closeout of all the paperwork. The one time 3 day training class and 1/2 day recurrent training every 2 years is fun but we do have to pay for the training and give up vacation time.

I hope this sheds some light on the time that goes into an AB DAR inspection.

The FAA DAR directory is located at:
http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...gations/designee_types/media/DARDirectory.pdf
If that link is too long, try this shortened one.
http://tinyurl.com/zmk88

You need a DAR with Function Code 46 to do your RV.

Gary A. Sobek
AB DAR SoCAL
N157GS RV-6, O-320 Hartzell, flying 1,840 hours.

I am working on trying to help you guys out. Check out: http://www.ab-dar.com Most of what is needed for the DAR inspection is on line. I have more that I want to add to the web site as I find time.

DanLandry said:
Can anyone recommend a good & reasonable priced DAR to do my 7A?
I'd prefer an ABDAR who just charge for their expenses.
The eaa directory is way out of date (11/04). The 4 people I've called on the list have retired or would not call back.

Gary,
Thanks so much for the breakdown on hours. Most people think that we just go, inspect the airplane, and it's over. They don't realize the extra hours we go through with phone calls and paperwork. One other thing you didn't mention is checking with Oklahoma City if a "letter of denial" has been issued on the aircraft.
Right now between amateur-built and Light-Sport aircraft, I'm doing 1-3 a week. I have 2 LSA manufacturers here in the Dallas area (Legend Cub & Indus Aviation) and the're keeping me pretty busy.
Even though I retired from Texas Instruments last October, I'm thinking about going back to work just to get some time off.
Mel...DAR

Thanks for your feedback. I agree all DAR's shoud be compensated. I have no problem with that. My issue is with the FAA.
While in Las Vegas, the FSDO was happy to do the inspection, but you couldn't do the phase 1 at North town. You had to pack it up & leave town. I guess you SoCal guys understand that.
In my discussions with the Tampa FSDO, the supervisor agreed to do mine 3 months ago when I inquired and said "call me when you're ready". I did & he said "call a DAR, we're too busy". It's a shame as I my hangar neighbor is ready also.
I'll keep working the DAR list to find someone.