Christopher Murphy

Well Known Member
The flop tube has been in the tank for 9 years. Who is making those and is there a contact. I sort of remember they used a teflon tube but I can't remember for sure. If I change the tube out, I don't need the brass weight. Any info about time changing the flop tube?

CM

Hi CM,

Mine have been in there 28 years with no service, the builder used Teflon. If it’s still working correctly I would keep flying. YMMV. I don’t know if anyone is making these up. As for how long it will take, it will take the better part of a day to change it out and then you need time for the Pro Seal to dry before returning to service.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info... I bought that flop tube and installed it when I built the airplane. I have been finding black rubber residue in the gascolator. I just wanted to make sure its not coming from that tube. I wanted to confirm that it was teflon. ( I think it came from a hose at the self serve fueling station I used recently). I really wanted to contact the maker of the hose to confirm it is teflon.

CM

I should have mentioned that in the 1000 hours I have flown my -4 since I bought it flying in 2005 it has never had any material in the filter so I have not had any worry about the clunk tubes, I have however replaced both the lines coming from the tank to the selector for seeping or sweating fuel inside the cabin.

Keep a close eye on your filter, if that stuff continues then you or your service station could have a problem, more likely it’s on your end but anything is possible.

mystery

I only have metal lines all the way from the tanks to the gascolator. I have new fuel lines down stream of the gascolator. The fuel lines I took off were in good shape after 9 years/ 500hours. I will get to the bottom of it for sure but like I said earlier, just trying to confirm that the flop tube was teflon. I don't want to go into that tank if I don't have to.

Thanks for the info.