andrew phillips

Well Known Member
I was just trying to install the flop tube in my left tank (QB wings) when I realized that there are modifications needed (i,e trap door, rails, relocation of sender unit). Has anyone done this after the tanks are closed? or is it just not worth it at this point? I don't intend to do sustained inverted flight, maybe the occasional loop or roll.

Thanks

Andrew

Positive G stuff?

You can do some archive searching for threads on the topic - there are some good ones, with well-thought reasoning on both sides - but if you're going to do what you say (loops and rolls), the flop tube isn't necessary.

Unless, of course, those are outside loops and inverted snaps.... :p

I enjoy the heck out of Valkyrie with no flop tubes a carb, and no inverted oil system.....I just don't enjoy negative G's anymore (not sure I ever did....).

Just one man's opinion, of course!

Paul

Flop tube

Forget the flop tube unless you are going to install an inverted oil system and have a fuel injected engine.

Bryan Carr

I agree

Mine has flop tubes and inverted oil...you definately need both or none...I.e flop tubes won't work without inverted oil and vice versa.

Having said that, it is not difficult installing flop tubes into quick build tanks....Of course you use a couple of pop rivets to install the trap door.

I also installed the anti rotation bracket...really not that hard.

Frank 7a

flop tube

I did it to mine and it wasn't that bad. My tanks are all done. Make sure you check the Vans web site about safety wiring the pick up tubes to prevent them from coming loose. I had already completed mine and sealed them up before it came out. One of my tanks kept a balloon inflated for several days. The other for about a day and I think mostly because the air was leaking out around the fuel cap and I couldn't get it taped down well enough. Should I open them back up and do the safety wiring on the pick up tubes or leave it alone since I have a good seal. Both wings are still off and I don't have to worry about messing up a paint job. How big of an issue is this. I would only be scared if they both came off at the same time.