skidmk

Well Known Member
okay,, the plans are saying to rivet the floor panel "stiffners" using pop rivets? (except where indicated) am I reading this right?

are these rivets going to be visible or hidden by the seats?

MIke

My plans are at the hangar right now but, I don't remember them saying to use pop rivets for the stiffeners. Mine dimpled and riveted with AN426-3's. Maybe you are referring to the floor attachment pop rivets?

Mike, I just finished doing mine and all the stiffeners were installed with 426AD3's with the exception of the ones attaching the seatback hinges. Those require 470AD4's. Pop rivets are used to attach the floors, unless you go with nutplates.

Yep think you were seeing the pop rivets for the floor install but just a tip or rather how I put those stiffeners on was to use a back rivet plate and shot the shop heads. It works great! I just got done painting my floor parts and cant wait to put those pop rivets in hopefully only one time though.

RV-8A Floor Stiffeners

I've run all my wiring under the floor - which I'll attach with screws vice rivits. However, the plans say that to install the floor panels, wait until final installation then rivit the final stiffeners from inside the cockpit using 2 people.

Using the above procedure, if the final stiffeners pretty much lock the flooring in, how do you remove it for access to the wiring, AP roll servo, electric trim, etc?

I would highly recommend attaching your floors with nutplates/screws. It is a significant amout of work, but the payback in maintainability is worth it. I can't tell you how many times I have had a reason to take up my floor panels. I also made some of the larger single panels into two smaller panels.

Size Nutplates/Screws

I would highly recommend attaching your floors with nutplates/screws. It is a significant amount of work, but the payback in maintainability is worth it. I can't tell you how many times I have had a reason to take up my floor panels. I also made some of the larger single panels into two smaller panels.

I will be starting my floor install in a few weeks and need to get the hardware. I want to make the floor panels removable. Do you recommend the K1100 nutplates with #6 screw, similar to what holds the trim module cover plate? I need to make an order of various incidentals like snap bushings and I am trying to think of all the stuff I might need. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Cheers

The section of flooring which has the footwells can be removed as it is to be installed with screws and platenuts. Removing this section allows access to the Roll servo and trim.

Tap the holes

I've been thinking sort of like Captn Kirk. I took a piece of metal same thickness as those floor attach angles and found that a #6 or #8 tap in a drill will run down the hole nice and easy and smooth and the 6-32 or 8-32 will tighten down real nice. With a little lock tight or RTV I don't think they will losen up. I'm going to be putting my floor panels in soon. I haven't heard anybody say this is a bad idea. What do you think?