RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
So it occurs to me, what with my annual coming up next month, that one of the biggest hassles is pulling up the floor panels each time, just to inspect the rod end bearing on the center of the control column (for the pushrod to the elevator) and a few wire runs. I'm considering finding a suitable location on the forward part of the larger floor panel (F-739), cutting a modest-sized hole in it for inspection, and putting a cover on it held on with screws/platenuts...that way, I'd only have to remove the seats and carpet and this cover and I can still inspect all the rod ends and bearings on the entire control colum without having to pull up the floors. What wiring runs there are, and there aren't many the way I did it, I can inspect with a mirror and/or a borescope. What say you guys? Any reason this would should be reconsidered?

Also, same thing for the flap covers (F-749-R and -L)...I see no need to remove them entirely simply to inspect and lubricate a single rod end on each side, so why not make an inspection panel there, too (since these are covered by the Classic Aero interior I have, anyway?

Thoughts?