RetiredRacer

Well Known Member
......but only on the right side. Has anybody else had this problem and were you able to do something to solve the problem.
This is an "A" model with three screws securing the fairing onto the fuse. Two in front of the spar box and one behind and it is the floor in front of the spar box that is letting you know it is having fun by going "pop pop" "pop pop" as your taxing. From underneath with the weight on the landing gear, very little finger pressure will "pop" it up and down.

All I had time for after testing with the new pants and fairing on, was find what was making the noise. I'll look into it when I go up to the hangar this weekend and see what can be done to solve the problem.

I'm putting it out there so anybody else who had the same problem can let me know how they solved the problem.

Thanks

Bob (RV9a)

Can't help you with the oil canning, but ...

... I have a related question. Did you use platenuts or rivnuts on those screws?
I'm ready to install my x-section fairings, and am planning to use rivnuts, but it looks like the fwd ones will be under the gear weldment. I'm not sure there's enough room above the floor and below the bottom of the weldment for an un-squeezed rivnut. :confused:

Hi Rupester, I used platenuts with pull rivets for the front and rear screws. I had another screw a little bit back (and inboard) from the front screw and it was under the plate of the weldment. This one I drilled and tapped into the weldment plate for the screw instead of using a platenut.

Bob.

On our 7A, we had two nut plates attached to the wing root fairing and then post paint added the third nut plate in the vicinity of the gear weldment. As we have all sorts of cables running thru the weldment area and not wanting to hit any part of the weldment we took lots of measurements. No issues were encountered and we bucked the rivets in the weldment area.
Phelps