Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all-
I am trying to determine where to position my throttle quadrant. I am 6'2" and have moved the seat/roll bar back 1", lowered the cushion and raised the bottom of the instrument panel , but still find my knees hitting where most people mount their quadrants. Mounting the quadrant on the floor as shown in the picture below feels quite comfortable and natural, and no interference with my legs:

DSCF6367_zps15e0a0c3.jpg

The only potential problem I foresee is routing the cables, either diagonally into the center tunnel (best?) or up along the fuse side exiting above the left pedal bracket. I am a first time builder and don't know whether routing the cables like this is practical or not. Any feedback or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Eric

RV-4 Throttle quadrant

I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs, and I think you will want to stay away from the floor. You need all the foot room possible for getting in and out. I have mine mounted on the L/H side, very close to the skin. My recomendation is keep it as far forward as you can, as the bulkhead for the spar carry through will be against your wrist at idle. I routed my cables straight forward, then up over the left pedal and down the center of the tunnel. My controls are very smooth. Send me a PM with a regular E-mail and I can send you good pictures. There is no way my knee gets in the throttle.

I am 5 11 and I am running into the same problem. My solution is to still mount the quadrant in the ?standard? location however, install a throttle lever that is angled at approximately 45 deg. It is also longer. I noticed that the further aft the quadrant is, the less interference with my leg/knee because I can rest my leg on the bulkhead that is under the instrument panel.

Personally I would not place the quadrant at that location. It will be difficult to get in and out of the aircraft. It will also be a potential interference with the fuel line that go to the left fuel tank.

I have seen people mount the quadrant very high and cut slots on the canopy rail so the lever can come through. That would not be my choice but it may work for you if you are that tall. I don?t know who?s plane this is. But when I was looking to buy a plane this one was for sale.

untitled.JPG

I wouldn't mount on the floor in an RV-4. In mine (and I'm 6'5") it is mounted via a homemade bracket riveted to the side skin about half-way from floor to canopy rails. Seems to be the right height. ON the floor would be too low and, as other have pointed out, that floor space is vital to entry-exit ease.

The bracket was simply a two pieces of 063x3/4x3/4 60603 angle riveted to the skin with mating portions bolted to those pieces and the quadrant.

Non-standard

I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs, and I think you will want to stay away from the floor. You need all the foot room possible for getting in and out. I have mine mounted on the L/H side, very close to the skin. My recomendation is keep it as far forward as you can, as the bulkhead for the spar carry through will be against your wrist at idle. I routed my cables straight forward, then up over the left pedal and down the center of the tunnel. My controls are very smooth. Send me a PM with a regular E-mail and I can send you good pictures. There is no way my knee gets in the throttle.

Not to squelch enthusiasm and experimentation however I wouldn't place your throttle there. Why?
1. Ergonomics. I've flown every conceivable arrangement in the RV4 including Right Hand setups and vernier panel mounts. Great airplanes require great engineering. Vans prototype 4 has it per the plans. Great idea!

2. Resale. Odd setups detract from value, period.
3. You'll like it better on the LH cockpit location described above. Trust me!

Engineering questions?

[email protected]
V/R
Smokey
Dues gladly paid in Iraq
Gladly paid to DR anyway...

I have the DJM throttle, and am 6' 2", and am headed back down to 225 lbs. I mounted the throttle up on the left side with enough clearance between my hand and the canopy rail. Very comfortable. I will be at hangar tomorrow, PM me a cell phone number and I will shoot you a pic of the front and rear seat throttle.

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for your advice and pictures. Still a tight fit mounting the quadrant on the left fuse side - bumping knees and trim lever - I may go with bulkhead mounted push-pull cables. I'll try to post a pic when I am done.
Eric

Thanks everyone for your advice and pictures. Still a tight fit mounting the quadrant on the left fuse side - bumping knees and trim lever - I may go with bulkhead mounted push-pull cables. I'll try to post a pic when I am done.
Eric

Stand-by. I will post some pics of the work I did last weekend when I get home tonight. I extended the throttle lever. It it also bent at a 45 degree angle and I moded an AR-15 grip. All that was done with the support of DJM (Dayton Murdock on VAF). He is in Carson City, NV. I would talk with him and check out my pics before doing the push-pull cables. Don't give up yet! Build what you want, not what you are limited to.

I moved the lever up 1 1/4 inch from the original position. The lever is also bent at approx 45 deg.

I started with this and modified it.
583ad260832b6c1a4342c174ff9a7426.image.200x300.jpg

here are additional pics.
IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2133.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

Angled grip

Axel-
Nice work. I've also thought of bending the handle as you did, or even mounting the quadrant angled out from the wall - the latter would (theoretically) achieve both knee-clearance and trim lever clearance. Still haven't decided - sat in the cockpit yesterday, and my forearm rests comfortably on my knee right in front of the bulkhead so that push-pull might be the best ergonomically (though lacking the quadrant "cool factor"...)

Axel I am right behind you in -4 construction so I greatly appreciate the many pictures and posts you have contributed to VAF. Although I haven't met Murdock, I am 15 minutes from Carson at NV33 - feel free to stop by if you are up this way some time (that goes for all you VAF folks).
Eric