benbell4140

Well Known Member
I know not everyone recommends putting carpet on the forward floors but I want to and I'm not sure if I should put some type of insulation or heat barrier before I install the carpet. Any comments? Also should I install some type of spacer under the rudder peddal assembly to compensate for the carpet thickness?

Thanks

carpet

Hey Ben, my thoughts are some thin insulation would help for sound and maybe vibration dampening. As for as rudder pedals, to me that would depend on how thick you get with carpet and insulation. I would think that if I carpeted I would put a ss or al plate on the floor on top of the carpeting where your feet would be. That would help keep feet sliding smoothly and keep your heels from catching on the carpet. The insulation we talked about the other day is fiberfrax. Google that, there are a lot of different versions of the stuff.
http://www.aerocad.com/970j.aspx is one that I have been looking at. Something to check out.

bird

Thanks Tim. Will check it out. So many choices and decisions to make at this point in the build. Different opinions and products everywhere.

Take care

Thanks Dan, will look into it. Im still not sure what to do about the rudder pedal attachment. I know I'll have to cut a section out of the capet/heat barrier for the attachment point but not sure If I should put a spacer the thickness of the carpet under the attach point or just bolt it together without a spacer and mill down the bottom of the teflon slider blocks the thickness of the carpet. I have the in flight adjustable pedals.

Carpet

My 2 cents worth... It's true, a lot of noise comes through the front floor of the 8. Leave the carpet out and invest the money in a good ANR headset.

One other thought for you is that the -8 has a double floor, so it has somewhat of an air gap already. In mine, I simply have a piece of edge-surged carpet, cut to shape and that only goes as far forward as the rear bracket of the rudder pedals - looks and works fine - isn't even stuck down. More of a "floor mat", but most folks thinks it is fully carpeted.

You're not going to quiet down a cockpit with a canopy that big anyway - a good headset is a must!

Just another option.