Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Getting ready to order my wing kit, and I'm seeking opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of float vs. capacitance fuel senders.

Thanks,

Tom

Float senders are cheaper and very reliable. They are also very accurate when calibrated to a digital electronic gauge.
Another point is that they don't care what kind of fuel they are measuring. Capacitance senders vary with type of fuel.
Been flying float senders since 1993.

Float Senders

I liked the idea of capacitance senders, but much more difficult to repair once installed (sooner or later everything needs to be repaired:eek:). Float type readable by more devices (EFIS and or dedicated gauges). So I bought the float type

I liked the idea of capacitance senders, but much more difficult to repair once installed (sooner or later everything needs to be repaired:eek:).

While normally I would agree with this, capacitance senders are nothing but a couple of pieces of aluminum fastened to the structure with a wire attached. If you use good construction techniques chances of failure are slim to none.

If you want flop tubes, I would go with capacitance senders since a flop tube necessitates the float being installed in the second bay. Otherwise I like floats. They are very easily replaced but only good for about the last 15 gallons in each tank (above 15 gallons the float is pegged in the highest position due to wing dihedral). I'm not sure if capacitance senders are able to sense the full volume of the tanks or not.

Now, all that being said, my primary fuel instrument is my clock and fuel computer on my Dynon EMS.

While normally I would agree with this, capacitance senders are nothing but a couple of pieces of aluminum fastened to the structure with a wire attached. If you use good construction techniques chances of failure are slim to none.

Like Mel said though, if you mix mogas & 100ll you will get different readings. Ask me how I know this. I would not install capacitance type unless they can now be calibrated to accept fuel blends. JMHO.

I have some broader based experiance with both types. I have maintained a small flight school fleet of mixed aircraft using both types since the aircraft were new (about 8 years). The 4 Cessna's have float senders. These senders fail (start twitching and giving large needle swings) every 500 -800 ish hours. Usally the affected range is narrow and corisponds with the most frequent tank level. The 4 Diamond aircraft have Capacitive senders. So far no maintaince of the Capacitive senders has been required. Zip. So I would recomend the Capacitive type if you are using 100 LL for fuel. If you blend fuels or use Autogas, a float type will be more accuret but will probally require ocational replacment. Good luck, Russ

I put the capacitance plates in my -9 and use the Dynon sending units.

In 250 flight hours I am stunned at how accurate they have been. Enough so that I have never bothered tuning the fuel flow. If my Dynon EMS tells me I have four gallons left (almost an hour?s worth of fuel with the old engine), I have exactly four gallons left.

If you elect to go with these, when you put the BNC connector in the tank, cover it completely with proseal, I mean, make it look like a mountain in there. The BNC connectors can leak out the centers, so use a LOT of proseal. Got it? Use a bunch of proseal on the BNC connectors!