Robert M

Well Known Member
Hello aircraft gurus!

I have yet to find any paper work or drawing or schematic that indicates the size/gauge wire needed for the run from the fuel floats to the fuel level gauge. Anybody out there got any info?

Also, my digital meter reads (at the 2K setting) .248 ohms empty and .031 ohms full. Is this close?

Bet you'll never guess what part of the plane I'm working on! :D

I used 22 AWG. This wire shouldn't be carrying much current -- it's just a resistive sensor, and it's going into your fuel tank!

Here's what my Dynon displayed as I calibrated the tank. I guess the numbers on the left are all in thousandths of ohms...? The numbers on the right were displayed after calibration, in ten-thousandths I guess.

20070401_IMG_4612.JPG

Robert M said:
Also, my digital meter reads (at the 2K setting) .248 ohms empty and .031 ohms full. Is this close?
That would be .248K or 248 ohms and .031K or 31 ohms.
As far as wire size, 22 ga. should work fine, however, I never use anything smaller than 20 ga. just for the physical properties. 22 ga. is too easily broken for me.

Last edited:
That sounds about right, Robert. I think the wiring schematics are in the FWF or wiring kits supplied by Van's. If you did not order either of those, you probably did not get a schematic. This is a simple grounding circuit and a light gage wire is all that is needed. As suggested, 22 is fine.

Roberta

Thanks - to everyone! I will probably stick with the 20 gage - the larger size will be easier to handle with my eyes.