dpansier

Well Known Member
FLIR introduced the FLIR ONE at the CES show in Las Vegas today.
FLIR ONE attaches to a iPhone 5 or 5s and displays a live thermal image on the phone screen. The price is targeted to be $349.

I believe this device will have some very interesting aviation uses, hope it is not long before they come up with an interface for the iPad.

More info here: http://www.flir.com/flirone/

Pretty amazing. I tested one of the early Flir helicopter systems in 1970 while in the Army. At that time it was too big to put on a Cobra gunship so it was put on a Huey "Mike" model gunship. The main unit took up a large portion of the cargo bay and it was black & white.

Technology has certainly come a long way.

Hopefully this is a real product coming at a real price. If so that is a breakthrough for thermal imaging costs!

I wonder who is making the sensor?

Thanks for posting this!

GRT has been working with FLIR for some time. Their HX screen shots even shows one tested by Paul Dye. Might want to give them a call or check in with Katie.

Last edited:
Maybe not ....

GRT has been working with it for some time. Their HX screen shots even shows one tested by Paul Dye. Might want to give them a call or check in with Katie.

GRT has been working with FLIR "systems" or "cameras" for some time but I **DOUBT** that they have been working with this unit as it was **JUST** announce at the Consumer Electronics Show and is NOT shipping yet. You can sign up for one and it is a backpack for the iPhone 5. Not a standalone system with video out.

Would hate to see a rush of calls to Ben and Katie on something that not only can THEY not ship but something that the manufacturer is yet to ship. :)

Now of course, there might have been some very long shot, secret skunk works effort that Katie has held secret secret. :)

James

James,

I didn't want to suggest that GRT has been working with this new gadget, but rather that they have been working with a FLIR feed to their screens and FLIR in general. FLIR itself is nothing new but this is an additional application. I believe Paul Dye had a FLIR camera mounted externally.

We have been using this technology in the electrical business to find hot spots and to help balance electrical panels. What we use looks very much like their demo videos. I never dreamed of adapting it to aviation or anything else. I guess my old brain isn't as creative as it used to be! It is exciting.

The more I think about this device the more excited I get. With the price targeted in the $350 area it is becoming affordable for hobbyist, hopefully FLIR will deliver on this project.

Imagine the uses:

The forward looking advantages are well known, several forum members are already using FLIR devices.

Aircraft maintenance, finding cold plugs, detecting cold cylinders and cylinder hot spots, improving poor engine baffling, finding cold spots on the cabin interior. Detecting poor electrical connections.
It would be interesting to fly next to a RV and see the temperature differences on the fuselage, maybe it will confirm why the OAT sensor reads higher when placed near the NASA duct.

As the sensor costs decrease I?m sure we will see GoPro / Garmin VIRB type cameras with RF links to tablet devices.

Other non aviation uses include:
RC copters will be fitted and data linked back to a iPad for low cost surveillance.
Volunteer firefighters will welcome this device.
Improving home insulation and reducing heating / cooling costs.