BillL

Well Known Member
We have heard about the low cost but no reasonable devices. Here is just the camera ($175) from DigiKey. I am not blessed with that electronics gene, but others of you might make us a little box for interfacing with a G3X touch.

Vern -are you listening!

Did you notice that's an 80 x 60 pixel imager? Probably not as useful as we'd hope to see.

i'm heavy on this subject for my G3X panel

basically, the GRT is one of the better options out there, the second best is the unit the cirrus is equipped with which is Max-Viz

I am rating these from cost versus benefit

too cool!

but wait! if an intruder is breaking into your house using no lights, just FLIR goggles, you need one to detect him, right?

isn't that kind of redundant?

oh, wait....then he'll have to wear energy masking thermal underwear, so we'll need to install sweat aroma & pulse detectors on the perimeters....

but then he could engage full-cloaking Romulan nanobots...

......ahhhhhhhh nuts!

I give up!

Did you notice that's an 80 x 60 pixel imager? Probably not as useful as we'd hope to see.

Yes, that was my first thought too, but looked at the linked video. It is not as bad as you might think, or it is a lot better than you think. Anyway - check the vid.

Yes, that was my first thought too, but looked at the linked video. It is not as bad as you might think, or it is a lot better than you think. Anyway - check the vid.
I would, but none of my browsers will show the video. ::shrug::

Flash will be the death of the web yet.

I am not blessed with that electronics gene, but others of you might make us a little box for interfacing with a G3X touch.

The bigger question is would Garmin divulge the technical specs to interface to a custom device and/or would it void warranty?

The MGL's will take a FLIR or standard camera input and already have the display pages built in.

The bigger question is would Garmin divulge the technical specs to interface to a custom device and/or would it void warranty?

They already did and its right in the manual:

2v3583l.jpg

This signal spec has been around for a long time. Typically you see it in the form of a yellow RCA jack instead of a BNC connector but the signal spec is the same.

Last edited:
but to be clear, the GRT will reference the horizon line with the FLIR, the garmin will simply display it as a video feed