JonJay

Well Known Member
This one is for those boned up on their regs. Can you offer for auction at a charitable event a scenic flight? You are required to state a value for the service or product you are offering which kind of leads me to believe it may violate the regs.
I know this is a little off topic, but take this in the spirit it is intended as I am sure there are many RV folks that have opportunity to give back to special causes.

We have an annual auction at our church to raise money for a youth mission trip every summer. I donate a couple free rides in my RV. I am donating this and could, if I wanted to deduct as a charitable contribution, my cost of operation. The church gains whatever anyone is willing to bid. In my case people have bid over 250.00 for a ride!! I don't get this money - or any money - the youth group does. People aren't really paying for a ride, they are giving a donation to the church, and I am giving them a free ride as a result of their generosity.

Scott

No, E-AB aircraft cannot be usd for charitable flights. Here's the info from the EAA site:

Q: Can an experimental aircraft be used to give a 'free' airplane ride to the winner of a ticket at an auction? I know that experimental aircraft can not be used 'for hire' and can not receive more than 1/2 of the flight's operating costs. But if the airplane ride raises $500 at the auction, which is clearly in excess of the entire flight's operating costs, is it legal to conduct the flight as long as all proceeds are paid directly to the non-profit organization?

A: No, experimental aircraft may not be used for conducting charitable flights. Feel free to offer the raffle prize in a type-certificate airplane, but an experimental aircraft is not allowed.

As a side note, even though the owner of the airplane is not receiving a penny for the flight, (when all proceeds are donated directly to the charity), the FAA still considers it a commercial activity. As such the pilot must either be under an FAA-approved drug-testing program or have an FAA-issued exemption for the charitable flight. If you elect to submit an exemption request to cover the FAA's drug-testing requirement, it is best to do it at this web address - just follow the "unregistered user" links

Thank you Todd

I should have just jumped onto the EAA site first, but as always, someone from the Van's Airforce is in the know....

Here's another reason not to

Here's another reason not to offer charity rides at auction. Years ago I offered such a ride in an Aircoupe. Sure enough someone bid $50 and won. I got a little nervous when this person's helper called, she said he was an older gentleman and might have a little trouble getting in the plane. No kidding, he was stiff as a board and it took 20-30 mins to somehow hoist him up the wing, over the sill, and into the seat. I flew him around and landed...even worse getting him out. True, he appreciated the flight, but never again will I offer a ride to any pax sight unseen. I'll let the commercial pros fly anonymous pax.

Young Eagles on the other hand I've flown several dozen.

Young Eagles on the other hand I've flown several dozen.

I don't want to open Pandora's box, but according to the FAA YE flights are charitable flights (EAA, AOPA, Sporties, all other sponsors, ect) hopes the YE will become pilots and members to their organizations. Having said that, then the motivation for YE is to recruit future members, and make money. How is that a charitable event?

I was just told by the FAA I could not fly a charatable heart fund raffle (giving a ride to the winner) because my aircraft does not have an "Standard AW Cert".

How is that not the same?

Last edited:
Because...

I don't want to open Pandora's box, but according to the FAA YE flights are charitable flights (EAA, AOPA, Sporties, all other sponsors, ect) hopes the YE will become pilots and members to their organizations. Having said that, then the motivation for YE is to recruit future members, and make money. How is that a charitable event?

I was just told by the FAA I could not fly a charatable heart fund raffle (giving a ride to the winner) because my aircraft does not have an "Standard AW Cert".

How is that not the same?
No donations are involved in YE flights. They are designated as Charitable so that you can write off your expenses on your taxes.

The regs for Charitable flights were recently updated (a year or so ago) and there was a big uproar that YE flights would be affected. The FAA quickly issued a statement that they are NOT affected, since no donations are allowed.

Remember, these are government regulations. Any relationship to common sense is absolutely unintentional :rolleyes:

No donations are involved in YE flights. They are designated as Charitable so that you can write off your expenses on your taxes.

The regs for Charitable flights were recently updated (a year or so ago) and there was a big uproar that YE flights would be affected. The FAA quickly issued a statement that they are NOT affected, since no donations are allowed.

Remember, these are government regulations. Any relationship to common sense is absolutely unintentional :rolleyes:

EAA and the FAA did come to terms for YE. However, you can't declare the YE expenses as a deduction, unless you have a commercial rating. FAA considers that compensation.

Now the odds of getting caught are probably slim.

EAA and the FAA did come to terms for YE. However, you can't declare the YE expenses as a deduction, unless you have a commercial rating. FAA considers that compensation.

Now the odds of getting caught are probably slim.

Bob,
For clarification, are you saying a commercail pilot with a certified airplane could deduct operating expenses as a charitible contribution on their taxes for YE fights? I assume since the E-AB operating limitations specifically say "not for compensation or hire" no one could deduct operating expenses for any flight for any purpose in a homebuilt?
Thanks,

Bob,
For clarification, are you saying a commercail pilot with a certified airplane could deduct operating expenses as a charitible contribution on their taxes for YE fights? I assume since the E-AB operating limitations specifically say "not for compensation or hire" no one could deduct operating expenses for any flight for any purpose in a homebuilt?
Thanks,

Yes, I was refering to a certified aircraft and a commercial rating. You can only deduct consumables like and oil and fuel. If you are renting, then you can also deduct the rental fees. Unfortunately, the FAA won't allow depreciation on something you own.

Excluding the YE madness, nothing prevents you from deducting on your taxes for your planes use for charitable use. Angel Flights for example.

Further, again all bantered about in other threads, compensation in the op lims is about persons or property. A commercial pilot can make money for lots of activities, flying his/her experimental. Happens every day.