Brambo

Well Known Member
I have a Flightcom 403 installed and everything seems to work fine except when using the intercom. Whenever I talk to the passenger (or vice versa) we can hear each other OK, but there is also a lot of background noise that comes in also. Is this a function of the intercom or the old non-ANR headsets I use? It seems to me that when I've flown in other RVs with ANR headsets there is little to no background noise when talking, but I hate to spend the money on new headsets only to find that wasn't the problem after all.

Good Question, I have the same problem with my 403 in my RV7. The problem was the same with another unit in my Super Cub. I flew in Vans RV7A at the factory in Oregon and everything worked fine in that aircraft, so it must have something to do with the wiring. I wish I could offer a solution, but I, like you, would appreciate some advice from anyone who may have had the same problem.

No noise

I've been fly almost two years with mine, no background noise for me. The only problem I have is when I have a passenger using an ANR set, I use a QT Halo set, I have a problem getting a happy medium between squelch and volume to keep both of us happy.
Apart from that it has worked flawlesly since it was installed. I would suggest trying different headsets, borrow some from a friend to start with.

Front and Back

Had a somewhat similar problem with my Halo, and it turned out that inside the mike muff the mike was turned 180 degrees, which meant that I was talking into the BACK of the mike. :eek:

Noise cancelling microphones have a front and back, so make sure your mike is oriented properly so you talk into the correct side. :cool:

Sounds like I need newer headsets. I think I'll borrow a couple of ANR headsets from a friend, test them out and see what happens.

Flightcom 403D

I have similar problems with the 403D installed in my RV6. I'm using a Zulu and a Lightspeed 20Xlc - both ANR headsets.

Craig

Same here. Peltor headsets with Headsets Inc. ANR conversions. If it is a choice between ANR or Flightcom I'm looking for a new intercom.
Any suggestions?

I've had no issues with my Flightcom 403 in 2 years. I use QT Halo heasets, and sometimes an older David Clark. Could it be a stereo / mono issue?

Same here. Peltor headsets with Headsets Inc. ANR conversions. If it is a choice between ANR or Flightcom I'm looking for a new intercom.
Any suggestions?

I highly recommend the PS Engineering PM-3000 intercom for an RV.

The PM-3000 has great stereo sound quality, and also has independent squelch/vox trigger circuits for pilot and co-pilot (and also a third squelch circuit for rear seat pax in a 4-seater aircraft) which helps to keep background noise down since only the one microphone that breaks the squelch threshold is activated and the rest of the mics stay muted. In cheaper intercoms, there is generally only one common single squelch circuit such that when one mic breaks the squelch threshold, it opens up all mics at once (to wind noise, etc).

I've had a PM-3000 in my Cherokee for a few years now, and with the Zulu headsets, it's wonderfully quiet and with a MP3 music player plugged into the music input, it's like listening to your home stereo while flying.

Even though the PM-3000 is 4-seat capable, I put one in the new RV-8 we just finished, using only the pilot and co-pilot connections. The RV-8 is a *very noisy* airplane and the PM-3000 with a Zulu headset performed perfect when I flew it to Oshkosh and back last month.