Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Shot a 40 minute video in the RV-9A today, looking to document flight test results. The GoPro 11 Hero Black generated two files, the first one being 4.29 GB and the second one 2.59 GB. The smaller file works fine, the larger file will not open with anything -- not Quicktime, not the GoPro app, nothing. The larger file won't download to the iPhone, either. All software is latest versions.

I've stumped both Apple Tech Support and GoPro tech support.

The only thing I can think of is to set a 20 minute timer on the next shoot and when it times out, stop recording and restart.

A web search shows that others have had compatibility problems, but no details.

Any ideas? Please, no snarky comments.

Sounds like a damaged file on the memory card for some reason. Maybe try a new memory card next time, or do a test recording? There is usually no problem reading GoPro cards on a Mac, no matter how long you have been recording for.

My gopro films in about 9 minute segments. They are just under 4gb each. I have the 9 Hero and the 360 cameras. I use the gopro app to do the limited editing I know how to do.

I bet a gopro use and editing class at AV would be full every time it was offered!

Hmm. The problem is apparently in the Apple Image Capture app, which is the only way to read the SD card while it is in the GoPro.

When I take the SD card out and just copy the file onto the iMac desktop, everything is fine -- but the one file is 11.9 GB vs 4.29 + 2.59 GB. That will make the youtube uploads truly glacial, unless I find a way to tone down the video quality before uploading.

Last edited:
GoPro + Apple works well

The earlier GoPros save data in ~4 GB files, but the 11 seems to do them in 12 GB chunks. I've had no problem pulling the SD card and copying them to my Mac using a USBC SD card reader.

I have the GoPro Player app setup to display them quickly, but ususally do most of my work in iMovie or FinalCut Pro (the later allows me to easily rotate the images 3.5 deg to take out the dihedral of my under-wing tidetown ring mount)

Using tools like iMove or FinalCut works just the same with GoPro files as any other video file ... you want the .MP4 file. Any, there are dozens of good tutorials on how to use those on youtube.

Last edited:
Shot a 40 minute video in the RV-9A today, looking to document flight test results. The GoPro 11 Hero Black generated two files, the first one being 4.29 GB and the second one 2.59 GB. The smaller file works fine, the larger file will not open with anything -- not Quicktime, not the GoPro app, nothing. The larger file won't download to the iPhone, either. All software is latest versions. Any ideas? Please, no snarky comments.

Do you have VLC Player? That will open just about anything. If that won't open it, I vote for a corrupt file.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc