RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have a question for anyone who had done this install to a GNS-430W. The only wires that connect to the 430 are the RS-232 in and out ports. The wire is shielded.

The directions show a shield ground to the shield ground block (symbol "s" in triangle) and at the 430 end the shield goes to aircraft ground (standard aircraft ground symbol).

There is a detailed instruction about attaching a wire to the shield and also adding a boding strap from the Flight stream connector shell to the aircraft.

So if I understand this right, at the Flight stream end I attach a wire to the shield then use a ring terminal to attach it to the DB connector shell (all metal) then use another ring terminal and 10AWG bonding strap to connect the DB shell to someplace on the aircraft.

On the 430 end the shield gets attached to the wire and then to aircraft ground, is this the same as the ground block on the back of the 430. Right now each shielded wire going into the 430 has a ground wire attached to the shield via a solder sleeve and these wires attach via a small pin into a plastic block that attaches over a metal blade that is part of the back shell of the 430, the connector slides over the metal blade giving contact to the back shell.

So, do I run the shield from wire to this same block or to an air frame location near by?

If I can use the shield block on the back of the 430, where to I find the connector pin, my local Garmin Dealer who is doing the software update on the 430 does not carry them.

Thanks for any help. I can't wait to load flight plans from the iPad into the 430!

Cheers

I'm helping a friend with the decision process to integrate ForeFlight into a T-34B avionics. His T-34 has an insane avionics suite: Aspen EFD 1000, Garmin GTN 750, GDL 88, some kind of large screen EIS, etc. His wife gave him a Stratus 2 ADS-B receiver for his iPad. I told him that he should consider a Flight Stream 210 since he already has FIS-B and ADS-B traffic via the GDL 88. The only issue is the Flight Stream box needs installation. Anyway, I'm curious about what connections are required for the Flight Stream 210 - the install manual doesn't seem to be readily available. BTW, my friend's hanger mate is an A&P, so he will supervise / do the actual installation. Thanks in advance.

Simple

I just did this last month. The biggest part of the job is getting to the connector on the back of the GPS, GNS 430W for me. Other than that it is power and ground.

The other two wires are for the data between the 210 and the GNS.

I just flew from WA to FL is it was great transferring my flight plans between my iPad mini and the GNS

You need to get shielded wire for the data, the pins take a special tool to crip the pons on. Don't buy pins like I did they are in the kit.

I am sure an avionics shop could work up a wire harness for you.

I love the integration this allows.

Cheers

Flight stream 210

Does anyone have a PDF of the flight stream 210 install manual. Garmin does not have it up on their site.

I found it on the beach forum. Send me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you.