BruceEicher

Well Known Member
What flight planning information source is good for wildfires and smoke? To go along with our traditional aviation reports and maps I am looking for more.

Anyone use this?
http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/fire

335h4dc.jpg

I also have been using the direct modis sat images. But, for flights, nothing beats a pirep of smoke layers and visibility. Winds aloft also helps to predict where it will go at the altitude you plan to cruise.

Oh, hey Bruce! I saw your plane at Ashland once or twice. We fly in there almost monthly and had to drive in August because smoke in the Rogue was so bad. IFR in smoke is not fun...

Last edited:
Neat Bruce - I didn't know that layer existed in WunderMap! We've got lots of smoke around here right now - hoping it doesn't interfere with a Thunderbird performance at Minden today. Visibilities are not great.....

I like to use a program on my ASUS pad called Avare. You can download this program on a lot of phones also. You are able to download all sectional charts for free and then it allows you to update all of the TFR's on Avare's moving map. I am uploading the new TFR's as I write this just to take a look at all of them here in Washington State for curiosity.

This is a free program and highly recommend that you at least download it and take a look. Ed

Hi Neil

I also have been using the direct modis sat images. But, for flights, nothing beats a pirep of smoke layers and visibility. Winds aloft also helps to predict where it will go at the altitude you plan to cruise.

Oh, hey Bruce! I saw your plane at Ashland once or twice. We fly in there almost monthly and had to drive in August because smoke in the Rogue was so bad. IFR in smoke is not fun...

We like Ashland for a day trip, grew up in the Rogue Valley. I first soloed out of Ashland. One of these days we will do the Mt. Ashland downhill bike adventure. We have rented bikes from them for in town.

Thanks for the response...A lot more reading needs to go into smoke planning. I am afraid we will cancel a local air race tomorrow and our chapter's camping trip to Priest Lake Labor Day. :mad:

Thanks Ron!

This is Canadian but covers the northern states as well...
http://firesmoke.ca

Your map is much more predictive. I just flew this morning with about 5 mile visibility at 2500'. Down low better, and up high clear. Yet the Wundermap did not show it, yours does and with a good long time loop.
Thanks.

It's getting worse out there now, my eyes are burning.

15ytffd.jpg

Sorry Paul, Canada is not worried about your area. I hope your air show is ok. We would like to see some country and camp on Labor Day, but looks like we might stay close, on the Oregon Coast maybe.