Cbflyn

I am looking to purchase a 4 sometime this year:) and have a question for you flying owners and former owners. Being a conservative driver I like to flight plan block to block with both airspeed and a fuel burn that leaves a margin. Would 150 KTS and 9 gals an hour be good numbers for a 150, 160 HP RV4? I know some 4's are faster than others, some fly powered back and some fly balls to the wall, just looking for a good rule of thumb. (daydreaming with various trips in mind :rolleyes:) Any insight on the 0360 would be great also.
Thanks in advance:)

I use duat.com

I use the flight planner in www.duat.com. I have the following numbers in the aircraft profile

Climb - 1200 fpm, 14.5 gph, 100kts
Cruise - 7.8 gph, 155 kts
Descent - 7.8 gph, 165 kts

Now these numbers are not perfect but the Duat flight plan times are right on the money every time (winds included). The fuel comp is usually a little pessimistic but that is the way I like it. I like being pleasently surprised with more fuel remaining. The other option doesn't appeal to me much. BTW I normally cruise at 11.5k or 12.5k and the FF guage reads between 6.8 and 7.2. You will enjoy your -4 but it is small. If you could afford it, go with the -8. I wish I had one.

They're pretty good numbers...

...and what I see in my buddy's 160 HP -4 but you won't burn that much gas at 150 K. Probably closer to 8 GPH or a little over,

Best,

Thanks Pierre, I like the fuel burn figured on the high side. I'm old school I guess, "you only have too much fuel when your on fire!" works for me. As for speed I was hoping for 150K block to block, my sweet spot.
Charlie Thank you for the insight also and the flight numbers. The 8 is nice, very nice, but I am limited by my funds not my imagination! A rocket would be nice,,,,,,,,

Chuck,
I have an 0320 with an ellison TBI I cruise at 2500 RPM with a fixed pitch prop. My rule of thumb is simple. I figure on being on the ground with in 3.5 hrs at the most. My rear is tired after 3. At 3.5 hours it leaves me with roughly a half hour or slightly more reserve. You will find that everyone varies.
Ryan

Thanks,, 3 hours at a time is good for me also. From the posts I have read a good seat is a must in the 4 both front and back.

A good seat is a must in any airplane just that in a -4 you have to figure out how to make a good seat.

Angle valve IO-360 with CS prop 2380 to 2400 rpm at 5 to 15k MSL, LOP, I plan for 8GPH and that’s about what I get average/block to block. That’s 3.5 hours and a 30 minuet reserve.

Plans can change! I have a fuel computer and a GPS, comparing these two items confirm that I do or don’t have the range to get where I planed on going, it’s nice knowing how long you have to go and how long you have in fuel during flight.

Russ I agree, a good seat is a must in any airplane. I put 7600 hrs in one 207 and that seat fit my posterior well. I will be taking a hard look at the Oregon Aero company if the plane does not have them all ready. At the power setting you use what kind of speed are you looking at with the IO360?

Thanks Russ,, That's good speed and a great fuel burn. I am going to have to get used to going high. I normally cruise climb to altitude but this plane is a different animal. I can see I need to change some things I have been used to doing.

Russ I forgot to ask have you run her at 75%? What do you get for speed and fuel burn at this setting?

I always cruise/climb....

Thanks Russ,, That's good speed and a great fuel burn. I am going to have to get used to going high. I normally cruise climb to altitude but this plane is a different animal. I can see I need to change some things I have been used to doing.

....and in my -10, it's 160 MPH and close to 1500 FPM, very similar to my old -6A. Great visibility and cool CHT's,

Best,

Thanks Pierre It will be nice to have the best of both worlds! Cruise climb and a great climb rate. Thanks

Hmmmmmm

After going over the posts and thinking about the 150/160 RV 4 I am now leaning towards the 180 HP.:) I guess I am going to dig a little deeper into my pants pockets for the difference in price but,,,,,,,That's Ok:cool: With most of my time in fuel injected airplanes I am more than comfortable with the start procedures, hot or cold. The only plane that gave me any trouble was Navajo Chieftain and that was my fault (flooded:() So a fuel injected 180HP has been filling my thoughts. I like the ability to go fast, burn lots of fuel AND pull that knob back get a great fuel burn and speed all in one. YES!