rdoerr01

Well Known Member
I'm planning a family trip in our RV-10 from home (Kansas City area) to Scottsdale, AR (KSDL) and then up to North Las Vegas, NV (KVGT) and then home. During the trip I would love to fly over the Hover Dam and the Grand Caynon while on our way from Scottsdale to Las Vegas. Also on our way home from Las Vegas I would like to fly east over the rockies and looking for advince on flight paths and any restrictions to be aware of.

On the leg from Kansas City to Scottsdale I only need one fuel stop but two might be in order as I've found a few good airport that have cheap fuel. I could fly W to Colorado and then SW or I could head SW first to TX/NM and then W to Phoenix. It looks like Deer Valley (KDVT) has the cheapest gas in the Phoenix area.

Any advice is welcome with communications and restrictions along my route, like what to ask for to fly the Las Vegas strip, Hover Dam and the Rockies.

Thanks

Ray Doerr
N519RV (RV-10)

I'm surprised there has been no response.

We are thinking of flying to Vegas from Montana on May 1-4 for a wedding.

Well, the strip is very close to KLAS with class B to the ground. You'll need to talk to ATC anyway to get to KVGT, they might let you fly close if you ask. But at night it is so lit up you cannot miss it even if you're miles away.

Grand Canyon is heavily restricted below 14,000' (??check), only certain "corridors" in the deepest canyon area. Get ahold of the special Grand Canyon Special Flight Rules chart.