Ron B.

Well Known Member
In Canada we are required to file a flight plan or have a flight itinerary for flights over 25 nautical miles from your departure point. This is not the case in the USA , whereas no flight plan is required? A friend of mine believes, being Canadian, we are still bound by Canadian law to file a flight plan while flying in the US of A. I cannot believe this. What say Ye?
I tried to look it up, no luck finding anything.
I think I did find that in Canada , we must close our flight plan within one hr, but it's a half hr in the USA if you filed.
Thanks Ron

clear as MOT mud.....

Ron,
all I could find were the old 1978 verbage.....

Trans-Border Flight Requirements
13. Notwithstanding anything in this Order, no person shall operate an aircraft between Canada and a foreign state unless he has filed a VFR flight plan or an IFR flight plan.

now once you've landed in the 'foreign state'.....further flights are under US rules?
Try COPA or AOPA perhaps?

sounds like they've deleted 'flight notification'. You either file a Flight plan with FSS, or an itinerary with FSS or a responsible person.

You need an International Flight Plan to cross the border either direction between Canada and the US.

You do not need a flight plan in the US when flying VFR unless you are going to land a a Military Base. Yes you need a flight plan in the US to fly IFR.

The FAA will not have a problem with you flying VFR without a flight plan if you remain within US borders. I am not sure what Transport Canada would think about it. Maybe you should ask them.

What about a Canadian aircraft operating night VFR without a flight plan within the US?? :)

The FAA will not have a problem with you flying VFR without a flight plan if you remain within US borders. I am not sure what Transport Canada would think about it. Maybe you should ask them.

What about a Canadian aircraft operating night VFR without a flight plan within the US?? :)

Here is a link to an FAA document for the Operating Limitations for Canadian Aircraft operating in the US.

http://www.copanational.org/files/FAASFACanadianABA.pdf

Number 8 says:
8. The aircraft shall be operated under visual flight rules (VFR), day only, unless the operating limitations issued for the aircraft authorize night or instrument flight (IFR) operations, in which case the aircraft shall be equipped in accordance with 14 CFR part 91.205 and the pilot in command shall comply with 14 CFR part 91.711.

The above is very similar to what Canada requires of US Amateur Built Aircraft or was the last time I flew my RV-6 to Canada.