Ron B.

Well Known Member
After not quite making Sun n Fun by air, we (four pilot friends, yes we are still friends after that trip), had a heated debate as to the usefullness of a flight plan when you are using flight following. Yes a full flight brieffing,is required before each flight including weather, notams etc., with or without a flight plan.
In Canada it's the law, unless you have a flight itinerary. With a flight itinerary the responsible person could forget about you (especially if she is your wife).
I'm wandering how many flying in the US use a flight plan, if they use flight following?
Thanks Ron

I don't remember when I last filed a VFR flight plan. I either use flight following, or am on an IFR flight plan. I am very comfortable doing this. If I were to fly in an area where reliable flight following was not available, I would definitely use a VFR flight plan. For me, the whole idea is to have someone know where you are in case you have a problem. Flight following is pretty hard to beat, for that. I also have a SPOT tracker that is on for every flight, as well as a 406 ELT. I always brief passengers on the use of both of those items in the event of a problem.

Trying to cover as many bases as possible.:)

Same as David. Actually have never filled a VFR flight plan with the exception of the practice for my PPL. But since I got my IFR ticket, I have been filling IFR as much as possible.

Opening flight plans

I too have only used flight plans in learning. Foreflight makes it pretty easy to file, and I use flight following all the time. Does anyone know if you can open a flight plan with ATC when initiating flight following, or do you have to do it with flight service? (I know you have to close it with FS)

Flight plans are a flight service function, flight following is an ATC function. 2 very different animals that are often confused. They are not the same!

Flight follwing gives you immediate means to communicate a problem and ATC will deal with you directly.

Flight plans give you peace of mind that a search and rescue mission will ensue 30 minutes after your estimated arrival at your destination unless you close out the flight plan with flight service. This service is administered by flight service.

... Does anyone know if you can open a flight plan with ATC when initiating flight following, or do you have to do it with flight service? (I know you have to close it with FS)

Yes, you still have to open a VFR flight plan with Flight Service (now contracted by Lockheed-Martin).

I usually file a VFR flight plan as well as request Flight Following. Why? Because SOMETIMES (not always) ATC picks up my "strip" and sees my preferred routing. Then they know exactly what my intentions are. Also, my flight usually shows up on FlightAware.com. On my last trip, I went to Pensacola and rather than just indicate "direct to 82J" on my flight plan, I indicated two airports and two intersections to make sure I stayed out of certain military airspace and to also be a little closer to civilization should I have a problem.

When I was departing Pensacola on my way back home, I never could get a reply from the FSS at Gainesville, and I tried several different frequencies. When I checked in with Pensacola Departure, they assigned me a squawk code and when I asked them about opening my flight plan with Gainesville, they said they didn't know why the Gainesville FSS wasn't responding to my calls. They (Pensacola Departure) said they don't open flight plans.

Last edited:
Assumed Departure

I file VFR flight plans for border crossings only. It is getting harder to get a response from FSS on the radio in the US so I always ask for an "assumed departure" while on the phone. With the assumed departure the flight plan is automatically opened unless you call to change or cancel the departure, much like in Canada. In the past US FS was reluctant to do an assumed departure but I have had no problems for the past couple years.

I file VFR flight plans for border crossings only. It is getting harder to get a response from FSS on the radio in the US so I always ask for an "assumed departure" while on the phone. With the assumed departure the flight plan is automatically opened unless you call to change or cancel the departure, much like in Canada. In the past US FS was reluctant to do an assumed departure but I have had no problems for the past couple years.

I didn't even know you could do this.

As long as they don't do "assumed arrival", sounds like a good thing! LOL!

Always thought in-air activating a VFR or IFR flight plan was silly.

If you think of a flight plan as an insurance policy...then it's not in force or valid until activated.

What if your engine quits shortly after take off (re another thread)? The flight plan is not activated, not in force, and no one will come looking for you.

If you call via cell phone (or maybe even, gasp, a *land-line* just prior to take-off...at least they'll start trying to find you ETA+30 minutes...which could be several hours, but still better than not at all.

Fly safe,

-Jim

Here's another one for not filing a VFR flight plan since my PPL training - but I use flight following religously. I love having another set of eyes on a radar scope to point out traffic or short-notice TFR's.

tkatc- whats your take on this?

file IFR by default, but get VFR flight following, then if you NEED to pickup IFR to enter some soup, you're already set.....is this abusing the system?