boomer

Well Known Member
At age 59 I have never taken an FAA flight physical. Since one can fly Light Sport without one -- unless one has failed a physical -- I was wondering if there was any place to ask some specific questions about whether my health issues (minor, I hope <G>) would let me pass. Is there a web site (other than the FAA which is very general, as far as I can tell) or maybe a FAA certified doctor who can tell me if I would pass with:

1. Hypertension which is under control with medicine.
2. Some loss of hearing which does not require a hearing aid.

I'd rather know in advance and go the Light Sport route rather than fail a physical.

Thanks.

-John

I'm No Doctor....

John,

I'm no doctor, so you definitely don't want to take this as advice, but it might lesson any anxiety (before you do hear from one) to know that I fly with a Second Class medical and have:

1) Hypertension that is under control with medication

and

2) Mild hearing loss (from noisy airplanes for 35 years!) that doesn't require a hearing aid....

Good luck!

Paul

John, its been awhile since I looked but poke around on AOPAs website. They used to have some pages devoted to what you are looking for and links to articles about what is acceptable and not. EAA may also have some info but when I looked AOPAs links were better.

You could also schedule a 'consultation' with friendly AME and do a dry run. That way you would be absolutely sure!

Pilot Medical Solutions specializes in helping folk get their medicals through. They have ex-FAA folks and doctors on staff, and they basically help you get doctor / AME evaluations that they know will pass. Can't say that I've used their services, but the one person who has thought that it was perhaps overpriced, but it would have taken a long time to get his medical otherwise.

They might be willing to help you with determining if you can get a medical, or what you would need to do / what your doctor or AME needs to say to pass.

I apologize if this sounds patronizing, but at 59, why are you looking to get a medical if you have some conditions that could be a problem? It might make sense just to fly LSA and not have to sweat your medical every few years. It'd be a bummer to buy / build an RV and then find out you are grounded. Remember, if you get denied for a medical, you are NOT allowed to use a drivers license as a Sport Pilot. My father decided to go the LSA route for exactly this reason.

TODR

Here is some info that comes from Pilot Medical Solutions Website

http://www.leftseat.com/bpchange.htm

Flight Fitness | Blood Pressure

Pilots with a diagnosis of hypertension or those on medication to control blood pressure must provide a detailed cardiovascular evaluation for FAA consideration. While aviation medical examiners may defer lower values, the FAA disqualifies pilots with a systolic (higher number) blood pressure at or above 155 or a diastolic (lower number) pressure at or above 95.

If your blood pressure is elevated, speak with your physician about how to reduce your blood pressure. It may be possible to reduce your blood pressure by limiting the sodium (salt) in your diet, losing weight if overweight, taking medication, limiting your alcohol intake and/or increasing your physical activity.

Although reducing your blood pressure by lifestyle modification is preferred, it may be best to utilize medication initially to reduce the risk for arterial damage and stroke. Eventually exercise and diet may permit you to discontinue the medication.

Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Centrally acting agents such as Guanethidine, Guanadrel, Guanabenz, Methyldopa, and Reserpine are not acceptable to the FAA.

The following medications are FAA approved on a case by case basis: Alpha Blockers / Inhibitors

Cardura (Doxazosin)
Catapres (Clonidine)
Dibenzyline (Phenoxybenzamine)
Hytrin (Terazosin)
Micardis (Telmisartan)
Minipress, Minizide (Prazosin)
Beta Blockers

Blocadren, Timolide (Timolol)
Cartrol (Carteolol)
Cibenzyline (Phenoxybenzamine)
Coreg (Carvedilol)
Corgard, Corzide (Nadolol)
Inderal, Inderide, Innopran (Propranolol)
Kerlone (Betaxolol)
Levatol (Penbutolol)
Lopressor, Toprol (Metoprolol)
Normodyne, Trandate (Labetalol)
Sectral (Acebutolol)
Tenormin, Tenoretic (Atenolol)
Visken (Pindolol)
Zebeta, Ziac (Bisoprolol)
Calcium Channel Blockers

Adalat, Procardia (Nifedipine)
Caduet (Amlodipine Besylate + Atorvastatin Calcium)
Cardizem, Dilacor, Tiazac (Diltiazem)
Cardene (Nicardipine)
Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Veralan, Tarka (Verapamil)
DynaCirc (Isradipine)
Norvasc, Lotrel (Amlodipine)
Plendil, Lexxel (Felodipine)
Posicor (Mibefradil)
Sular (Nisoldipine)
Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitors

Aceon (Perindopril Erbumine)
Accupril (Quinapril)
Altace (Ramipril)
Capoten, Capozide (Captopril)
Lotensin (Benazepril)
Mavik (Trandolapril)
Monopril (Fosinopril)
Prinivil, Prinzide, Zestril, Zestoretic (Lisinopril)
Univasc, Unitrec (Moexipril)
Vasotec, Vaseretic (Enalapril)
Angiotensin II Receptor Antagonists

Atacand (Candesartan)
Avapro, Avalide (Irbesartan)
Benicar (Olmesartan Medoxomil)
Benicar HCT (Olmesartan Medoxomil + Hydrochlorothiazide)
Cozaar, Hyzaar (Losartan)
Diovan (Valsartan)
Micardis (Telmisartan)
Diuretics

Aldactone, Aldactazide (Spironolactone)
Bumex (Bumetanide)
Camadex, Demadex (Torsemide)
Diuril, Hydrochlorothiazide, HCTZ, Hydrodiuril, Oretic, Enduron (Thiazides)
Dyazide, Maxzide, Moduretic (Combinations)
Dyrenium (Triamterene)
Lasix (Furosemide)
Lozol (Indapamide)
Mykrox (Metolazone)
Zaroxolyn, Mykrox (Metolazone)

Another non-FAA medical resource

I've used Virtual Flight Surgeons before...

http://www.aviationmedicine.com

and recommend them without reservation. They'll answer questions via email for a fee ($39.95 for an email consult) and maintain your confidentiality as you should expect. That may be a little pricy, but their advice to me was right on the money and I had no problems with my AME as a result. For me, peace of mind was worth the bucks.

Hope this helps...

Dave

Last edited:
Well controlled HTN on one of the approved meds should not be a problem for you. The important thing is that the workup is negative for heart disease or end-organ damage. Your family physician should be able to obtain an EKG, blood work, and testing if indiciated. You could print out the AME guidlines for your family physician to run through to be sure your ok prior to the AME visit.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...e/dec_cons/disease_prot/hypertension/initial/

--------------
Jack
RV7-a (Fuse)

If your a AOPA member you can go post on the Medical Matters forum on their site - there are several AMEs that regularly hand out advice regarding grounding/non-grounding issues. They'll tell you what you need to do for most conditions...

You can also post as "unregistered" so you can retain some anonymity. (as much as possible on the internet anyway)

http://forums.aopa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Hearing's probably the easy of the two parts of your question. The only hearing test in an FAA medical is if you can hear enough to carry on a normal conversation. If someone facing away from you, but in the same room, is understandable, then you're good! (I'm not an FAA doc either though...)

Don't Overlook AOPA's Services

Hi John,

AOPA's "Medical Matters" chat forum, mentioned above, is a place where you can get excellent commentary, especially from Dr. Bruce Chien, a CFIA-I-MEI-ATP/Senior AME, and regular poster. Also as mentioned above, you can post there anonymously, a plus.

Additionally, you can ask AOPA's Medical Certification folks to review your specific situation (including your medical records) and give you their opinion. It's much like Pilot Medical Solutions, but it's free (with AOPA membership anyway), and might be a good first step.

Good luck!

John