prkaye

Well Known Member
Do RV kits come with a flight manual (Pilot Operating Handbook) ? If so, which sub-kit does it come with?

No. You are the manufacturer, and you write your own manual. There are some very good examples that other builders have shared. Search this site and you will get a good head-start.

Good luck.

Speeds, procedures

But I'm not the designer. So how will i know things like best approach speed, max flap extended speed, VNE, best-glide, best angle and rate of climb, etc, etc ?
Much of what is in a flight manual comes from the design, not the actual construction.

prkaye said:
But I'm not the designer. So how will i know things like best approach speed, max flap extended speed, VNE, best-glide, best angle and rate of climb, etc, etc ?
Much of what is in a flight manual comes from the design, not the actual construction.
And Test flights! Welcome to the world of the test pilot. :D

Van's speeds

Van has published redlines for the airplanes, as well as max flap speeds and stall speeds. He also has suggested approach and climb speeds, plus entry speeds for the aerobatic airplanes.

As was said earlier, search this and other sites and the final numbers will be what you find during phase 1,

The errors in the airspeed system will vary from aircraft to aircraft. Some of this is due to ASI instrument error, which is often several knots, and sometimes 10 kts or more, if you have an unserviceable ASI. The rest of the error is due to leaks in pitot or static systems, and static source position error. The static source position error will vary, depending on whether you used Van's recommended static port or not, and due to variations in the contours around the static port.

The result of all the various airspeed system errors is that two aircraft flying at exactly the same calibrated airspeed could easily have indicated airspeeds that differ by 5 to 10 kt (or more if one aircraft has a bad ASI, or a very poorly conceived static source). So, you can't take an approach speed recommended by someone else and believe that it is the best one for your aircraft.

Speeds for best angle and rate of climb are also affected by the type of prop you have.

test flight

Yikes, so the first test flight in the aircraft is really a seat-of-your-pants operation! What are the stats on test-flight crashes in RVs?

Sounds like I should try to get some time in a variety of different aircraft in the next few years, so I'll be more prepared to handle the unknown.

Builder?

Are you building now or just thinking about it? Sounds like you're just lurking but if you are in fact building then you need time in an airplane like the one you're building, not time in a bunch of 'various' airplanes,

lurking?

Lurking?

I've gotten the preview plans already, and my tools from PlaneTools.com.
Getting my air compressor this week, and will spend some time learning the basics on some scrap metal that a local RV-9A builder is getting for me.

I plan to start on the empannage late summer or early fall.

signature

Ah... most of you have "signatures"... I just created one... this is a test to see if it worked...

prkaye said:
Yikes, so the first test flight in the aircraft is really a seat-of-your-pants operation! What are the stats on test-flight crashes in RVs?

Sounds like I should try to get some time in a variety of different aircraft in the next few years, so I'll be more prepared to handle the unknown.
The first few flights in an RV do have more risk than later flights, for a number of reasons, but many of the risks can be mitigated.

The biggest risk is power loss, either due to engine or fuel system failure. Fuel system problems are very common in amateur-built aircraft. This risk can be mitigated by choosing an airport with acceptable landing spots to cover power loss right after take-off, and then keeping within gliding distance of the airfield for the first several flights. Forced landing practice in a similar aircraft prior to first flight is also wise.

Airspeed error is a risk, but it can be mitigated by ground testing with a water manometer to check ASI instrument error, and leak checks of the pitot and static systems. The static source position error is not known at first flight, but you should do an approach to the stall, note the lowest IAS seen, add a suitable increment, and do a simulated approach and flare at altitude to confirm acceptable aircraft handling at the chosen approach speed.

RV first flights have a fairly good record, but there have been a few that have gone bad, usually due to poorly handled engine failures. There was a fatal first flight accident in Ontario a few years ago - I recall it as a failed attempt to turn around and come back to the runway following an engine failure on take-off, but my memory could be a bit wrong here.

It is useful to have experience in many types of aircraft, but it is more important to have recent experience in an RV prior to your first flight.

tomcostanza said:
Kevin,
Do you have, or can you point me to, any documentation on this technique?
EAA Chapter 1000 (Edwards Air Force Base) has a document that shows how to make a water manometer.

I created a spreadsheet to convert between water manometer height and the correct ASI reading. The
zip file contains Excel and Openoffice versions of the spreadsheet.

Jim Weir also did a Kitplanes article that covered water manometers.

I've got these and other links on pitot-static system calibration here.

The results from the ground checks on my mechanical and EFIS ASIs are on my web site.