togaflyer

Well Known Member
So my son just relocated to Huntington Beach. Single guy, 27, making decent money. As a teenager I could not get him interested enough to pursue his pilot license. A few days ago I sent him a text out of the blue asking him if he had any interrest in pursuing a pilot license. He called me back and said that the text I sent him was weird. He said he has been thinking about getting flight lessons. He told me that not learning to fly as a teenager was one of his biggest mistakes.

So for those with kids who show no interest in flying, there is always hope in the future that the kids will get the bug. For those that live in the O.C., anyone know a good flight instructor/school, any recomendations are appriciated.

Sunrise Aviation

at John Wayne (KSNA) has a very good reputation, although no personal experience. They also teach aerobatics - good sign, in my book.

Good luck to your son!

Merrill

Redlands Aerosports - Denny Brown

If he wants to make his way to Redlands (KREI) and a great instructor that can also provide aerobatic instruction, tail wheel instruction, unusual attitude, etc. he might want to talk to Denny Brown @ Redlands Aerosport.

I learned at Sunrise Aviation at John Wayne. A little pricey, but a very comprehensive program. No two laps of the pattern are the same, and the Class C airspace will prepare you for clearance calls, etc. Numerous 737s coming in on adjacent runway are great for learning about wake turbulence. Many different rental aircraft to choose from. And they don't just teach stall/spin avoidance; they put you in a Citabria, have you put it into a spin and recover.

Also, DuBois Aviation at Chino is good...did my currency training there. The fleet is mostly aged Piper Cherokees, but they are well maintained. My instructor was Matt...good lad!