Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Anybody have a link to a map that shows ARTCC frequencies? Surely this information must be out there somewhere, but I cannot find it. Would be handy to have to be able to dial in flight following.

thanks,
greg

What Garmin?

If you have the Garmin x96 series, a good way to get the frequency is by asking for nearest ARTCC. It may not always be the right frequency but whoever you talk to can give it to you.

Good thought Larry. I have a 495 which should have this stuff and hadn't thought of that avenue. I would like to have a map that I can print out and/or use on my home computer for planning purposes.

cheers,
greg

Airport/Facility Directory

Hi Greg,

I use the Airport/Facility Directory (AFD) for my flight planning. It is the FAA/Government approved bible. This is not as convienent as clicking on the Garmin or whatever; but you can look at nearby airports and find the ATC contact for that area. I then make a list of those. To date, after 10 years of doing this for x-country flights; my lists have been correct when ATC hands me off.

I keep current AFD in areas I am flying. (Mostly South Central) Should something go awry, (runway maintenance or something similar) you can point out that you are using their approved publication.

Cheers and happy flying.

Deal Fair
RV-4 (N34CB)
George West, TX (

On my 496 I press the "NRST" button and tab over to "ARTC" and there it is! Not always right but as n5lp said who ever is on that freq will give you the right one.

This is the one thing...

...that is missing on the Sectionals that would be useful to VFR pilots requesting Flight Following. If you are near Class B or C airspace, then Approach frequencies are listed, but no frequencies for en-route.

If you use www.skyvector.com you can switch to the Low Altitude IFR charts (the "L" ones) and see the Center Frequencies which are marked in a zig-zag type blue box.

I just transfer these frequencies to my sectionals, and it has proved useful on cross-country flights after loosing a center on FF. You can just pick up the next frequency along your route.

The above is for those VFR pilots without fancy GPS's and still flying with actual sectionals....:)

Thanks!

Thanks Gil & Ron! :)

I just made a practice run on the SkyVector site and it works beautifully. Sure faster than thumbing through an AFD. This is a good thread...sure helped me out here. I love this forum.

Cheers,

Deal Fair
RV-4 (N34CB)
George West, TX (8T6)

IFR Enroute Low Altitude charts will give you the Center Freqs. you need for flight following. They are in the little blue boxes in the sectors you will be flying through.

I have so old low altitude charts (they were free) would these be accurate enough? Do the freqs change much?

Glenn Wilkinson

if you are interested......

i usually sell my old airchart books in may for $5. the ifr book covers the whole united states. keep on flying more.:D

I keep current AFD in areas I am flying. (Mostly South Central) Should something go awry, (runway maintenance or something similar) you can point out that you are using their approved publication.

Cheers and happy flying.

Deal Fair
RV-4 (N34CB)
George West, TX (

The FAA will tell you that this is a requirement, or a similar publication (FAR 91-103), and no, a GPS does not count. Just trying to keep you legal.....

you can........

always radio the closest towered airport and just ask for what you want. easy does it. turbo:D

That doesn't work...

always radio the closest towered airport and just ask for what you want. easy does it. turbo:D

...well in the mountainous West or even in West TX, where there is a different definition of "close"....:D

I think that...

What blue boxes are you talking about? I'm looking at the LA ENROUTE L-4 and I can't find these zig-zag blue boxes anywhere:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.94881774930278,-118.4560760430731&chart=404&zoom=3

thanks!
Mike

...is because the area you are looking at is almost all covered by the Approach/Departure areas of Class B and Class C areas.

Check the adjacent L-5 chart and look just North of Tucson.

http://skyvector.com/?ll=33.94881774930278,-118.4560760430731&chart=404&zoom=3

The blue boxes are only the Center frequencies, and not any local Approach/Departure frequencies.

That should do it...

Ok... got it. So should I decide to request flight following from Long Beach to San Diego, I would just call up any SOCAL APP frequency on the way and make my request?

Btw, I think you meant to post up something like this:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=32.36926114571125,-110.93253300340302&chart=405&zoom=3

...for FF ....and that's the link I meant to post, thanks....:D

I'm not sure about "any" SoCal frequency - since they go out way into the Mojave desert, but one for your area. If you are close but on the wrong frequency, they will just give you the correct frequency