Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Hello all,

Does anybody have a good recommendation on a flight bag for RV's. Mine is just way to big and gets heavier every time I pick it up. With all this room it is just to easy to cram more stuff in it every time I get the chance. What I'd like is a neat way to store charts, flight guide, etc. The headsets stay in the plane so there is no need for the big pockets on each end like "All" of the ones do carried by my local Airport Shop.

Here's a confession. About an hour ago my wife said she was going to the store to buy large zip lock bags because some meat she bought at costco needed to be seperated and put into the freezer. I simply leaned over my chair and opened up my trusty flight bag and pulled out 4 large zip locks. You should have seen the look on her face! I had put them there so that she could pick black berries when we stopped in Oregan for fuel on the way to Arlington last month. Anyway, who knows what is likely to be found in this bohemoth of a suitcase that I carry every time I fly. It's time to fight the urge to have so much junk with me in such a small plane.

Thanks,
Bryan 9A "Flyin The Flag"

Ah the memories of room and convenience

When I made my change I bought a Land's End cloth "briefcase" like bag. I load up trip specific things before trips and keep some "go everytime" things in there forever. I can put the bag in front of my seat on the floor and dig out things that I need en route. That makes getting in and out of the airplane a bit less convenient but it works. Lately I have been organizing a little more carefully and putting the bag behind the seat in a location where I can reach it and I keep all of the things I need for navigation and ATC coordination on my two knee boards. I have two metal pockets of George Orndorf design riveted to the formers on each side of the fuselage just forward of and above the wing spar that hold charts and the little brown Flight Guides. I have upholstery glued to these pockets that GB calls shelves so they look nice and they are surprizingly useful. If the right Electronic Flight Bag emerges I would buy one but I have no confidence in their ease of use or reliability at this time. I keep looking though because the change is inevitable.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Sears sells cloth tool bags in an assortment of sizes from small to pouches to 18 or 24 inch open mouth bags.
I have used these for an airplane tool bag, that I leave in the plane and have also used them as a small flight bag. Most even have some pouches sewn on the inside of the bag to hold wrenches and screwdrivers, but they also hold things like pens, pencils, flashlights, etc. quite nicely. The bags also come in several colors. I tended toward the dark blue since I had a gray interior and blue plane, but they also have red and black.

I gave up on the ridiculously priced "flight" bags and just use a bag I got at Office Depot.

Steve Zicree

LOL! I've used an old beat up laptop bag that nobody wanted at work for the past two years :D .

B,